Dr. Blakeney is the creator of the Bauer College's International Institute for Diversity and Cross-Cultural Management. He has been published in journals ranging from The Journal of Applied Psychology to The Accounting Review and from Human Relations to The European Foundation for Management Development FORUM. He has ten books to his credit thus far plus six chapters in books, and is a former contributing author to Certificate in Management Accounting Review. He served as a Board of Director of the Texas Industrial/Organization Psychologists, 1999-2006.
From 1994-1995, Dr. Blakeney was the Director of Company Programs at the gfw (Gesellschaft zur Foerderung Weiterbildung at the Universitaet der Bundeswehr in Munich, Germany), an international executive education and management development center. After that, he became Executive Director, 1995-1997. From 1197-2009 he continued as Executive Faculty Director of the International Management Program: Managing in a World of Global Business with a North American Option in cooperation with the University of St Thomas in Houston and Houston Baptist University as well as an Asia-Pacific Option in cooperation with the National University of Singapore and the Brisbane Graduate School of Business in Australia.
Professionally, Dr. Blakeney has consulted with over 100 business and other organizations. He has directed executive education and management development programs in the USA, Europe, Australia, Mexico, and Asia. He has also traveled to and has personal experience in Germany, Japan, China, Singapore, Korea, Hong Kong, Australia, Taiwan, Mexico, France, Spain, Italy and the UK.
- GENB 7397: Selected Topics in General Business Administration
- MANA 4350 International Management
- Cultural Coping by Expatriates
- Repatriate Knowledge Transfer
Areas of Expertise
- International cross-cultural management
- Knowledge-based competition & cross-cultural advantage
- International assignments & global leadership
- International negotiations
- Managing in a world of global business
- International executive education & management development
- Managing in Asia and Europe
- Oddou, G., Osland, J. S., & Blakeney, R. N. 2013 Repatriates as a Source of Competitive Advantage: How to manage knowledge transfer. Organizational Dynamics, 42, 257-266.
- Oddou, G., Osland, J. S., & Blakeney, R. N. 2009 Repatriating Knowledge: Variable Influencing the "Transfer" Process. Journal of International Business Studies, 40, 181-199
- Blakeney, R, 2008. Transfer neu gewonnenen impliziten Wissens von Auslandsbeschäftigten zurück in das "heimatliche system" (Transferring expatriate tacit knowledge gains back to the "home system". In Sackmann, S. (ed.), Person and economy: 174-189. Gabler: Wiesban, Germany.
- Blakeney, R. N., Oddou, G., & Osland, J. S. 2006. Repatriate assets: Factors impacting knowledge transfer. In M. Morley, N. Hearty, & D. Collings (Eds.), International HRM and International Assignments. Basingstoke, U.K.: Palgrave Macmillan, 181-199.
- Blakeney, R. N. 2003 International management program: Participant's guide to acquiring a company project, 6th ed. Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Weiterbildung an der Universität der Bundeswehr München, Munich, Germany,
- Blakeney, R.N. & Schraut, H. J. 2003. Management application project: Participant guide, 6th ed. Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Weiterbildung an der Universität der Bundeswehr München, Munich, Germany.
- Blakeney, R. N., & Hysong, S. 2007. An enhance model of cultural coping on international assignments: Antecedents of psychological adjustment and sociocultural adaptation. Annual Meeting of the Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology, New York.
- Blakeney, R. N. 2006. Psychological adjustment and sociocultural adaptation: Coping on international assignments. Paper presented at Annual Meeting of Academy of Management, Atlanta, GA.
- Oddou, G., Osland, J. S., & Blakeney, R. N. 2005. Variables influencing the repatriate knowledge transfer process. Paper presented at annual meeting of the Western Academy of Management, Las Vegas, NV.
- Blakeney, R.N. 2003. Management application project: Company guide, 4th ed. Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Weiterbildung an der Universität der Bundeswehr München, Munich, Germany.
- Blakeney, R. N., & Baehren, V. 2003. Business communication in English participants guide, 4th ed. Gesellschaft zur Förderung der Weiterbildung an der Universität der Bundeswehr München, Munich, Germany.
- Blakeney, R., Broenen, R., Dyck, J., Frank, B., Glenn, D., Johnson, D., & Mayo, C. 2002. "Implications of the results of a job analysis of I-O Psychologists." The Industrial-Organizational Psychologist, 39 (4): 29-37.
- Blakeney, R.N. 1998. Degree programs as tools for International management development. Karrrierfuehrer, I: 96-98.
- Blakeney, R.N. 1997. Degree programmes as international management development tools. efmd FORUM, European Foundation for Management Development, 3: 59-64.
- Blakeney, R. N. 1996. International Management Initiative. Karriere Fuehrer, II: 95-96.
University of Houston
University of Houston
Texas A&M University
Bauer Faculty & Staff Directory
Find by Program
Find by Department
Find by Office
Find by Type