The Cyvia and Melvyn Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship
Business Plan Competitions
In the fall of 2014 the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship held its first annual internal Business Plan Competition. All of the senior Intellectual Property teams competed against each other for the chance to win monetary prizes. In addition, the winner (or top two teams) is given the opportunity to be the traveling competition team in the spring semester for business plan competitions across the country.
In addition to the first annual Business Plan Competition, the first annual Pitch Competition was held in the fall of 2014. Students did their 90 second pitch with the hopes of winning the monetary grand prize.
The Business Plan Team is selected from the junior class each year to represent WCE and the Bauer College of Business in coveted business plan competitions held throughout the country. In a yearlong process, the student team develops a business idea and transforms the idea into a real-world, commercially viable business plan. The team is guided through the process by WCE professors and an outside mentoring advisory. The selected students receive a high level of mentoring on the entrepreneurial process, as well as writing and presenting their business plan in a cogent fashion.
Over the last 11 years, WCE students have won 19 awards in national business plan competitions, with more 1st, 2nd or 3rd place awards than any other undergraduate program in the United States and Canada.
2014 Business Plan Competitions
Every year, the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship has student teams present a business idea for competition. In 2014, several WCE business plan teams brought home a number of accolades and placed #1 in several competitions.
|2014 Competition||Host||Dates||Team(s)||Placement||Money Won|
|Baylor New Venture Competition||Baylor University||Feb. 28 - March 1, 2014||REEcycle||First||$25,000|
|Global Student Business Plan Competition||College of the Bahamas, Nassau||March 18 - 22, 2014||Wavve||First||$5,000|
|Global New Venture Competition||University of Nebraska - Lincoln||March 19 - 21, 2014||Energetik||First||$4,000|
|Giants Entrepreneurship Challenge||University of North Dakota||April 3 - 6, 2014||CARA||First||$5,000|
|Values & Ventures Business Plan Competition||TCU||April 10 - 13, 2014||Energetik||Third Place & Energy Independence Award||$15,000|
|Rice University Business Plan Competition||Rice University||April 10 - 13, 2014||Wavve||Semi-Finalist & Clean Technology Innovation Prize||$16,500|
|California Dreamin'||Chapman University||April 24 - 27, 2014||Wavve||Third||$30,000|
|MIT Clean Energy Prize||MIT||April 26 - 29, 2014||REEcycle||First||$2,500|
|First Look West (FLoW)||California Institute of Technology (CalTech)||May 6 - 8, 2014||REEcycle||First||$100,000|
|National Clean Energy Business Plan Competition||U.S. Department of Energy||June 11 - 12, 2014||REEcycle||First||$70,000|
Previous Years in Business Plan Competitions:
- 2013: 1st place - California Dreamin’ Competition at Chapman University
- 2012: 1st place - Nebraska Innovation Competition at UNL
- 2012: 1st place - Richards Barrentine Values & Ventures Business Plan Competition at TCU
- 2012: 2nd place - California Dreamin’ Competition at Chapman University
- 2012: Top 10 - Venture Challenge t San Diego State University
- 2011: 3rd Place - Value & Ventures Business Plan Competition
- 2011: Best Written Plan - Values & Ventures Business Plan Competition
- 2010: 2nd Place - Evansville New Venture Creation Competition
- 2010: 1st Place - New Venture World Competition at UNL
- 2007: 3rd Place - Northwest Venture Championship
- 2005: 2nd Place - Enterprise Creation Competition
- 2004: 1st Runner-up - Northwest Venture Competition
- 2004: 1st Place - Division 1 Northwest Venture Competition
- 1999: 2nd Place - Donald Duncan/Duncan Aviation Business Plan Competition
- 1998: 2nd Place - Enterprise Creation Competition
In addition, the Wolff Center for Entrepreneurship hosts two of its own competitions:
- Events & Media