Department of Finance
Risk Management & Insurance Track
What is Gamma Iota Sigma?
Gamma Iota Sigma is a professional risk management fraternity organized to: promote, encourage and sustain student interest in insurance, risk management and the actuarial sciences; encourage high moral and scholarship attainment; and facilitate the interaction and cooperation between universities and risk management industry organizations.
Who Joins Gamma Iota Sigma?
Currently forty-five campuses in the United States and Canada have chartered Gamma Iota Sigma. The University of Houston (UH) Chapter was founded in 2003 and membership is open to all UH students. Gamma Iota Sigma tends to attract those students interested in exciting, well-paying jobs in the insurance industry as well students seeking to better their leadership, public speaking and business planning skills.
UH Chapter Activities Include:
- Assistance with resume preparation and direct referrals to insurance companies, brokerage houses and corporate risk management departments.
- Hands on course and career counseling for students enrolled in the Risk Management and Insurance Track.
- Guest presentations by key insurance industry leaders on current and emerging topics.
- Visits to leading insurance company offices, large agency/brokerage operations and key corporate risk management departments.
- Participation in role playing exercises designed to sharpen sales and negotiating skills.
- Networking opportunities with former graduates, young professionals and fellow students.
- Social events within the Chapter.
- Leadership opportunities that are highly attractive to prospective employers.
- In-depth exposure into some of the more unique aspects of risk management, such as Cyber-Risk, Environmental Liability, Products Liability, and Business Interruption analysis.
- Attendance at professional society meetings, including Chartered Property Casualty Underwriter (CPCU), Risk and Insurance Management Society, Inc. (RIMS) and others.
- Opportunities to learn from successful executives how careers in risk management develop.
How Can You Join?
Request an enrollment form via email from Gamma Iota Sigma’s faculty advisor (Professor Mack Rogers, firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit our table during rush week. After you submit your enrollment form, stand by for more information on our next meeting.
- Global Energy Management (GEM)
- Risk Management & Insurance Track (RMI)
- Faculty Research
- Finance Course Descriptions
- Finance Careers & Course Plans
- Latest Department News
- Program for Financial Literacy
- Finance Faculty Recruiting