Jaana Porra, Ph.D., M.Sc., MBA, is an Associate Professor at the department of Decision and Information Sciences in the C.T. Bauer College of Business. Prior to joining the faculty at C.T. Bauer, she served on the faculties of the University of California, Berkeley, the University of Southern California, and the University of Texas at Austin. Her research interests include: evolutionary theory, punctuated equilibrium, colonial systems, systems theory, organizational and information systems evolution, and qualitative research methods. She has published in journals such as Information Systems Research, Management Information Systems Quarterly, the Journal of the Association for the Information Systems. She is an Associate editor for the Journal of the Association for Information Systems and Information Systems and e-Business Management. Jaana Porra has 25 years of work experience in her field as a systems analyst, project manager, CEO and a strategic consultant. For three years, she served on the council of the Association for Information Systems as the elected Americas representative. She was a Melcher Faculty Fellow in 2002-2003 and the a Bauer Faculty Fellow 2003-2006. She is the recipient of the 2010-2011 University of Houston Teaching Excellence Award (Community Engagement).
- Evolutionary theory, organizational and information system evolution, organizational and information system change, philosophy of science, qualitative research methods, information systems history, sustainable virtual communities, systems theory, characteristics and behaviors of colonial, organic and mechanistic systems
Areas of Expertise
- Information systems and organizational change, IT project management, Systems Analysis and Design
- Jaana Porra (2010). 'Group level evolution and information system: What can we learn from animal colonies in nature?" In E. Kock (Ed.). 'Evolutionary Psychology and Information Systems research: A New Approach to Studying the Effects of Modern Technologies on Human Behavior". Springer (forthcoming).
- Jaana Porra and Rudy Hirschheim (2007): 'Enid Mumford's contribution to information systems theory and theoretical thinking - Introduction to the special issue". Journal of the Association of Information Systems, 8, 9, September 2007, 463-466.
- Jaana Porra and Rudy Hirschheim (2007): 'A Lifetime of Ethical use of Computers - A Dialogue with Enid Mumford", Journal of the Association of Information Systems, 8, 9, pp. 467-479, September 2007.
- Douglas J. Steel, Jaana Porra and Michael Parks (2007): 'Ten Years of The Philosophical Foundations Mini-Track at AMCIS - Some Patterns", Proceedings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems, Keystone, Colorado, August 9-12, 2007.
- Avison, D., Bjørn-Andersen, N., Coakes, E., Davis, G.B, Earl, M.J., Elbanna, A., Fitzgerald, G., Galliers, R.D., Hirschheim, R., Iivari, J. Klein, H.K., Land, F., de Marco, M., Pettigrew, A.M., Porra, J., Carsten Stahl, B., Sørensen, C., Wood, B. and T. Wood-Harper (2006). 'Enid Mumford: A Tribute", Information Systems Journal, October 2006, 16, 4, 317-342.
- Goel L. and Porra, J. (2006). The Importance of Power in The Implementation Process of a Successful Knowledge Management System - A Case Study. Abstract. The Proceedings of the Decision and Information Sciences conference, San Antonio, Texas, November 2006.
- Porra, J. and M.S. Parks (2006). 'Sustaining Virtual Communities: Suggestions from the Colonial Model", Information Systems and e-Business Management, 4, pp. 309-341.
- Porra, J., Hirschheim, R. and M.S. Parks (2006) 'Forty Years of Corporate Information Technology Function at Texaco Inc. - A History", Information and Organization, 16, pp. 82-107.
- Porra, J., Hirschheim, R. and M.S. Parks (2005). 'The History of Texaco's Corporate IT Function - A General Systems Theoretical Interpretation", MIS Quarterly, 29, 4 I(December, 2005) pp. 721-746.
- Ives, B., Parks, M.S., Porra, J. and L. Silva (2004). 'Phylogeny and Power in the IS Domain: A Response to Benbasat and Zmud's Call for Returning to the IT Artifact" Journal of Association for Information Systems, 5, 3, pp. 108-124.
- Hirschheim, R., Porra J. and M.S. Parks (2003) 'The Evolution of the Corporate IT Function and the Role of the CIO at Texaco - How do Perceptions of IT's Performance Get Formed?, Data Base, 34, 4(Fall), pp. 8-27.
- Porra, J. (2002).'Supporting the Information Systems Field in Latin American Countries", A progress report to the Association for Information Systems Council, Barcelona, Spain, December.
- Porra, J. (2001). 'A Dialogue with C. West Churchman," Information Systems Frontiers, 3, 1, pp. 19-27.
- Porra, J. (2000). 'Electronic Commerce Internet Strategies and Business Models - A Survey," Information Systems Frontiers, 1, 4, pp. 389-399.
- Porra J. (2000). 'When the World Was Overcome by Internet Commerce" Sonera Sound, 3 (September), 2000. p. 17. (a column in a Finnish telecommunications industry magazine in Finnish).
- Porra, J. (1999). 'Colonial Systems," Information Systems Research, 10, 1 (March), pp. 38-69.
- Porra, J. (1999). 'A Strategic Framework for Electronic Commerce: The Digital Production Cycle" (Chapter 29). In Handbook on Electronic Commerce edited by M. J. Shaw, R. Blanning, T. Strader and A. Whinston, Springer Verlag.
- Porra, J. (1999). 'Electronic Commerce on Digital Content" Proceedings of ENABLE99, An International Conference on Enabling Network-Based Learning, International Conference, Espoo, Finland, June 2-5, pp. 405-413.
- Porra, J. (1999). 'Electronic Mass Hallucination," Tietoverkko (A Finnish Magazine for information systems professionals), 2 (February), p. 10 (in Finnish).
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and R. Roldan (1999). 'Internet Security and the Case of Bank of America" Intraware Inc. Knowledge Center. (electronic reprint of Communications of the ACM article).
- Porra, J. (1999). 'Confusing Times for E-Business" Tietoviikko (A leading weekly publication for IS professionals in Finland), 11 (March), p. 2. (in Finnish).
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and M. Roldan (1998). 'Internet Security The Case of Bank of America". Communications of the ACM, Vol. 41, No. 10 (October), pp. 81-87.
- Hirschheim, R. and J. Porra (1998). 'CIO and IT functions How do Perceptions Form at the Senior Executive level". In W. Chin, T. Goles, R. Hirschheim, J. Porra and P. Todd. Managing People in the Information Technology Organization. University of Houston, College of Business Administration, Information Systems Research Center, White Paper, June.
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and M. Roldan (1997). 'Internet-based EDI strategy", Decision Support Systems, 617, 21, 3, 1997, p. 157-170.
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and M. Roldan (1997). 'Internet-Based Financial EDI: The Bank of America Pilot", EDI Forum, 10, 2, 1997, pp. 40-50.
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and M. Roldan (1997). 'Internet-Based Financial EDI: The Bank of America Pilot", The Journal of Electronic Commerce, 10,2, pp.40-4 5. (electronic journal, reprint of the EDI Forum article directly above).
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and M. Roldan (1997). 'Internet-Based Financial EDI: The Case of Bank of America and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Pilot", Journal of Internet Banking and Commerce, 2, 1 (January), (electronic journal, reprint of the Journal of Electronic Commerce article directly above, shortened).
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and M. Roldan (1997). 'Contrasting Approaches to Implementing an Evolving Technology: Internet-EDI", Proceedings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems, Indianapolis, Indiana, August 15-17, pp. 260-262.
- Courtney, J.F., Porra, J. and M. Parks, (1997). 'Incubating Foundations of Information Systems (FIS) Issues in Creating an Electronic Journal", Proceedings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems, Indianapolis, Indiana, August 15-17, pp. 396-398.
- Porra, J. (1997). 'The Pioneers of the Virtual Future" (a column). MikroPC (A leading PC enthusiasts' magazine in Finland), 11 (6.11.), p.96 (in Finnish).
- Porra, J. (1996). 'Colonial Systems, Information Colonies and Punctuated Prototyping". Jyvaskyla Studies in Computer Science, Economics and Statistics, 33, University of Jyvaskyla Press, Jyvaskyla, Finland.
- Porra, J. (1996). Critique of the book Information Systems Development and Data ModelingConceptual and Philosophical Foundations by Hirschheim, R., Klein, H., and Lyytinen, K. (Cambridge University Press, 1996): Volume I: Chapters 2,3,4 and 5 (205 pages) Volume II: Chapters 1,6,7,8, and 9 (42 pages).
- Segev, A., Porra, J. and Roldan, M. (1996). 'Financial EDI Over the Internet: Case Study II", Proceedings of the 2nd USENIX Workshop on Electronic Commerce, Claremont Resort and Conference Center, Oakland, California, November 18-21, pp. 173-190.
- Porra, J. (1996). 'Humanness as Colonial Systems" Association for Information Systems, Proceedings of the Americas Conference on Information Systems, Phoenix, Arizona, August 16-18, pp. 401-403.
- Porra, J. (1996). 'Colonizing Electronic Markets - Multimedia Production through Punctuated Prototyping". Arttu (The Journal of the University of Industrial Design and Arts in Helsinki, Finland), 3, pp. 27-29.
- Segev, A., Porra, J., and M. Roldan (1996). 'Internet-Based Financial EDI: The Case of the Bank of America and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory Pilot", The Fisher Center for Information Technology & Management, Walter A. Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley, CITM-WP 1018, December. http://haas.berkeley.edu/~citm/EDI-proj.html
- Porra, J. (1996). 'Electronic Software Commerce". The Fisher Center for Information Technology and Management, Walter A. Haas Schools of Business, University of California, Berkeley, CITM Briefing Paper 96-BP-003, October, 1996.
- Hartman, A. and J. Porra (1996). 'Toward A Digital Economy Through Electronic Commerce", with Amir Hartman. CITM Working Paper, The Fisher Center for Information Technology and Management, Walter A. Haas School of Business, University of California, Berkeley.
- Porra, J. (1994). 'The Exposition of the Foundations of Artificial Intelligence on the Systems Continuum The Phylogeny". 1994 Proceedings, Decision Sciences Institute, 1994 Annual Meeting, November 20-22, Honolulu Hawaii, Vol. 2, pp. 650-653.
- Porra, J. (1993). 'The Open Computer Systems Movement". EDISTY (A Finnish professional magazine), (August), pp. 40-44 (in Finnish).
- Porra, J. (1992). 'Socio Technical Information Systems Design and The Tavistock School". In K. Lyytinen, and M. Nurminen (eds.), Organization Theories and Information Systems Technology, Publications in Computer Science, University of Jyväskylä Publication Series TU-13, (in Finnish).
- Porra, J. and J. Helsingius (1990). 'Why Open Systems are Important to the Research Community," Proceedings of the 1990 EurOpen Autumn Conference, Nice, France, October.
- Savaspuro, T, and J. Porra (1990). 'Open Systems in Municipal Administration" Kunnallislehti (The leading Municipal Magazine in Finland), (March) (in Finnish).
- Kukko, T., Myllyla, E., Pallas, K., Porra, J., Saastamoinen, P., et al. T90-Project Publication series, Valtionvarainministerio (Finnish Ministry of Treasury) ja Valtion Tietokonekeskus (Finnish Government Computer Center) (in Finnish):
1/1988: 'Finnish Government - Office System Framework"
2/1988: 'Regulation Preparation Information Sharing Experiment"
3/1988: 'Budgeting Information Sharing"
4/1988: 'Guide to Purchasing Open Office Systems for Finnish Government Agencies"
5/1988: 'FOSIP - Telecommunications profile for the Finnish Government"
6/1988: 'Open Operating System Environment"
7/1988: 'Electronic Mail in Government Document transfer"
8/1988: 'Office Systems Architecture for the Finnish Government"
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor, Journal of the Association for Information Systems
- Journal of Information Systems and e-Business Management Editorial Board
- No Web Site Currently
Ph.D. Economics (Information Systems)
University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
University of Jyvaskyla, Finland
Bauer Faculty & Staff Directory
Find by Program
Find by Department
Find by Office
Find by Type