Leiser Silva holds a Ph.D. in information systems from the London School of Economics and Political Science, an M.Sc. on Systems Analysis and Design from the same institution, an M.Sc. in Political Science from Universidad Francisco Marroquin in Guatemala, and a B.Sc. in Computer Sciences from the Universidad del Valle in Guatemala.
Currently, Leiser is an Assistant Professor in the Decision and Information Sciences Department at the C.T. Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. He is teaching an introductory programming course in Java to undergraduates and a case study seminar to Ph.D. students. Before joining the University of Houston in 2002, he taught and did research in Universities in Canada, Europe and Latin America. His current research examines issues of power and politics in the adoption and implementation of information systems, particularly in the context of public organizations. In addition, he is looking at managerial aspects of information systems, specifically, contextual and institutional aspects.
He was featured in a Bauer College Faculty Focus video on Oct. 21, 2013.
- power and politics in the adoption and implementation of information systems, particularly in the context of public organizations
- contextual and institutional aspects of managing information systems
- Silva, Leiser, Jennifer Gonzalez-Reinhart and Eugenio B. Figueroa. "Interpreting IS Alignment: A Multiple Case Study in Professional Organizations." Information and Organization. 
- Silva, L. and R. Hirschheim (Forthcoming August 2007) "Fighting against windmills: Strategic information systems and organizational deep structures," MIS Quarterly (31).
- Silva, L. (Forthcoming April 2007) "Post-positivist Review of Technology Acceptance Model," Journal of the Association for Information Systems.
- Silva, L. (2007) "Epistemological and theoretical challenges for studying power and politics in information systems," Information Systems Journal (17) 2, pp. 165-183.
- Silva, L. (2007) "Institutionalization Does Not Occur By Decree: Institutional Obstacles in implementing a Land Administration System in a Developing Country," Information Technology for Development (13) 1, pp. 27-48.
- Backhouse, J., C. Hsu, and L. Silva (2006) "Circuits of Power in Creating de jure Standards: Shaping the International Information Systems Security Standard," MIS Quarterly (30) Special Issue on Standards, pp. 413-438.
- Lin, A. and L. Silva (2005) "The Social and Political Construction of Technological Frames," European Journal of Information Systems (14) 1, pp. 49-59.
- Dhillon, G., L. Silva and J. Backhouse (2004) "Computer crime at CEFORMA: a case study," International Journal Information Management (24) 6, pp. 551-561.
- Ives, B., M. S. Parks, J. Porra and L. Silva (2004) "Phylogeny and Power in the IS Domain: A Response to Benbasat and Zmud's Call for Returning to the IT Artifact," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (5) 3, pp. 108-124.
- Barrett, M., S. Jarvenpaa, L. Silva and G. Walsham (2003) "ICTs, Globalization and Local Diversity," Communications of the Association for Information Systems (11pp. 486-497.
- Silva, L. and J. Backhouse (2003) "The Circuits-of-Power Framework for Studying Power in Institutionalization of Information Systems," Journal of the Association for Information Systems (4) 6, pp. 294-336.
- Silva, L. and E. B. Figueroa (2002) "Institutional Intervention and the Expansion of ICTs in Latin America: The Case of Chile," Information Technology and People (15) 1, pp. 8-25.
- Silva, L. O. (2002) "Outsourcing as an improvisation: A case study in Latin America," The Information Society (18) 2, pp. 129-138.
- Silva, L. (2001) "Risky but Effective Improvisations in Managing Information Systems," The Electronic Journal on Information Systems in Developing Countries (5) 5, pp. 1-11.
- Silva, L. and J. Backhouse (1997) "Becoming Part of the Furniture: The Institutionalisation of Information Systems," in A. S. Lee, J. Liebenau, and J. I. DeGross (Eds.) Information Systems and Qualitative Research, London: Chapman & Hall, pp. 389-414.
- Burkhalter, B. R., R. Miller, L. Silva and E. Burleigh (1994) "Variations in estimates of Guatemalan infant mortality, vaccination coverage, and ORS use reported by different sources.," Panamerican Health Organization Bulletin (29) 1, pp. 1-24.
- INTERNATIONAL PRESENTATIONS, CONFERENCE PROCEEDINGS AND OTHER PUBLICATIONS
- Silva, L., E. Mousavidin, and L. Goel (2006) "Weblogging: Implementing Communities of Practice," in E. Trauth, D. Howcroft, T. Butler, B. Fitzgerald et al. (Eds.) Social Inclusion: Societal and Organizational Implications for Information Systems, New York: Springer-Verlag, pp. 417-438.
- Krotov, V. and L. Silva. (2005) "Case Study Research: Science or a Literary Genre?" Americas Conference on Information Systems, Omaha, NE, 2005, pp. 2884-2890.
- Silva, L. (2005) "Theoretical approaches for researching power and information systems: the benefit of a Machiavellian view," in D. Howcroft and E. Trauth (Eds.) Handbook of Critical Information Systems Research: Theory and application, London: Edward Elgar Publishing, Inc., pp. 47-69.
- Barrett, M., S. Jarvenpaa, L. Silva and G. Walsham (2003) "ICTs, Globalization and Local Diversity" International Conference on Information Systems, Barcelona.
- Silva, L. (2000). "El impacto de los sistemas de informacion en organizaciones latino americanas". CAPIC, Universidad de Talca, Chile.
- Silva, L. (2000). "Outsourcing as an Improvisation". IFIP 9.4 Specialized group in developing countries. Information Flows, Local Improvisations and Work Practices, Cape Town, South Africa.
- Silva, L. (2000). "The Micropolitics of Adopting New Organizational Practices: The Case of Outsourcing Information Technology Services." APROS, Sydney, Australia.
- Hanseth, O., S. V. Scott, L. Silva and E. A. Whitley (1999). "Re-evaluating Power in Information Rich Organizations", New Theories and Approaches. New Information Technologies in Organizational Processes: Field Studies and Theoretical Reflections on the Future Work, St. Louis, Missouri, Kluwer Academic Publishers.
- Kern, T. and L. Silva (1998). "Mapping the areas of potential conflict in the management of information technology outsourcing". Sixth European Conference on Information Systems, Aix-en-Provence, France.
- Silva, L. and J. Backhouse (1997). "Becoming Part of the Furniture: The Institutionalisation of Information Systems". Information Systems and Qualitative Research. IFIP 8.2 Conference, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania.
- Dhillon, G., L. Silva and J. Backhouse. (1997). "Developing a Networked Authority: Nature and Significance of Power Relationships". 5th European Conference on Information Systems, Cork, Ireland, Cork Publishing Limited.
- Silva, L. and J. Backhouse (1996). "Legitimation and Power: BPR Critical Success Factors." 3rd European Academic Conference on Business Process Redesign, Cranfield University 21-22 February 1996.
- Silva, L. and J. Backhouse (1996). "Push Me, Pull You? Information Systems and Power in Organisations." Thirteenth Annual Computer Software Reliability Workshop: Design for Protecting the User., Burgenstock, Switzerland.
- Dhillon, G., L. Silva and J. Backhouse (1996). "Computer Crime at CEFORMA: A Case Study." Ethicomp 96, Madrid, Spain, Universidad Complutense de Madrid.
- Silva, L. O. (1995) "Health information systems in developing countries: Who should be in control?," British Computer Society Bulletin (1995) October, pp. 63-64.
BooksSilva, Leiser and Chris Westrup. (Editors.). Proceedings of the Ninth International Working Conference of IFIP WG 9.4: Taking Stock of E-Development. IFIP 9.4. 
- No Web Site Currently
London School of Economics and Political Science
London School of Economics and Political Science
Universidad Francisco Marroquin in Guatemala
Universidad del Valle in Guatemala
Bauer Faculty & Staff Directory
Find by Program
Find by Department
Find by Office
Find by Type