Department of Graduate and Professional Programs
Bauer Graduate & Professional Programs Commencement
Filing for Graduation
Master level students graduating from the UH Bauer College of Business must officially file an application for graduation either the semester prior to, or at the beginning of, the semester in which they plan to graduate. The university does not order the diploma until a student officially files for graduation.
NOTE: Students must complete ALL requirements toward their degree in the semester they intend to graduate, or their graduation application will be disapproved.
Students wishing to graduate in the current semester who were disapproved for graduation in any past semester, must re-file for graduation.
Students filing for graduation prior to the deadline may submit a graduation application request online through their PeopleSoft Student Center.
Applicants who miss the deadline cannot apply electronically. Late applicants’ names cannot always be included in the commencement program so if you plan to participate in the ceremony, apply on time!
Deadlines to file for graduation
Go to www.my.uh.edu (Peoplesoft) to apply.
|Regular Filing Period||November 2, 2013 to February 21, 2014||$25.00|
|Late Filing Period||February 22, 2014 to March 21, 2014||$50.00|
NOTE: Prior to receiving your UH diploma you will be asked by the College to fill out an employment survey. Please watch for an e-mail that will be sent to your UH e-mail alias after the last day of classes. Completion of this survey benefits you and your classmates by providing anonymous aggregate data about the job market and average salaries for graduates to help you interview and negotiate more effectively. Rankings organizations also solicit this information to use in ranking graduate programs. Your cooperation in providing the requested information is very important to the Bauer College.
Check Remaining Degree Requirements Prior to Filing
During the registration cycle prior to the intended semester of graduation, masters’ students should check with an academic advisor to verify that all degree requirements will be met. October is a good time to do this if you plan to graduate in the spring, and February/March would be a good time for a degree plan check if you plan to graduate in the summer or fall. If you have any questions, consult your academic advisor before the beginning of the graduating semester.
The Graduation Approval Process
How to file / apply for graduation
- Students apply to graduate online through their myUH student center.
- Students log into their PeopleSoft account at www.my.uh.edu
- In the Student Services on box on the home page click on “Apply for Graduation”.
- In the Learner Services box click on “Apply for Graduation” and follow the steps.
- MBA/JD and other joint program graduates must apply to graduate with both degrees in the same semester. After filing online through PeopleSoft, they will need to submit another hard copy application for the second degree. (The graduation application form is the same for all UH undergraduate, graduate, and professional students.)
- Paper forms are submitted to the Welcome Center.
- The Graduation Office will send a graduation certification form to the academic advisors in the Bauer College Graduate & Professional Programs Office.
- After grades have been posted (usually 3-4 weeks after the semester has ended), the academic advisor in the Bauer College will check your degree program requirements, fill out the certification form, and return it to the Graduation Office. At this point, your advisor will either approve or disapprove your graduation for that specific semester. Once a final audit has been performed by the Graduation Office, your degree will be posted on your UH transcript.
- Students normally receive their diplomas in the mail 2-3 months after the end of their graduating semester. It is important to make sure that the Graduation Office has a correct address to which your diploma will be mailed in the U.S. or overseas. In the event that you are not certain where you will be living several months after graduation, it is recommended that you have your diploma mailed to your parents, or to a friend or relative with a stable mailing address. If you do not receive your diploma within 3 months of completing your degree, contact the UH Graduation Office at (713) 743-9352.
- If you are disapproved for that semester, you will need to re-apply for graduation at the beginning of the semester in which you are actually completing your final degree requirements.
- Official degree-posted transcripts may be ordered from Registration & Academic Records by submitting the Transcript Request form available at http://www.uh.edu/academics/forms/transcript_request.pdf. There is a $10.00 fee per transcript copy, which can be paid by check or money order or online by logging in to myUH (PeopleSoft).
In certifying a master's level application for graduation, the academic advisor will verify that:
- You have successfully completed all courses required for your degree plan (no Incompletes should remain)
- You have at least a 3.0 cumulative graduate GPA at UH (calculated from all grades in graduate courses taken at UH, including those in any prior UH graduate program at this institution).
- You have no more than 11 semester hours of "C+" or below grades in graduate courses taken at UH.
- You have completed at least 30 semester hours of graduate courses toward your degree in residence at UH.
- You have completed your degree within five years (or for the 48-hour MBA degree, that you have completed your degree within seven years, and that you have earned at least 36 semester hours that are not more than five years old at the time of graduation).
- Receipt of your bachelor’s degree has been verified and the prior degree has been posted on the UH transcript.
- The correct number of graduate transfer hours has been posted on your UH transcript, if applicable. Any certificates you have earned by taking the required number of electives in specific areas will be mailed to you by the Bauer College Graduate & Professional Programs Office within 3 months of graduation.
Graduation with honors
You will automatically receive the Bauer College of Business Dean’s Award for Academic Excellence if your UH graduate cumulative GPA is 3.70 or higher upon completion of your graduate degree. These awards will be mailed separately by the Graduate & Professional Programs Office. The Dean’s Award is college honors, not university honors, and this recognition does not appear on the student’s UH diploma.
- MBA & MS Specialized Programs
- Joint Degrees
- Current Students
- Information Sessions & Events
- Contact Us
As a Bauer MBA student, you will have access to a wide array of developmental, job search, networking and recruitment opportunities— coupled with career guidance from experienced and well-respected career specialists.
The Rockwell Career Center has an entire team of specialists who work exclusively with Bauer MBA students for professional development services.