Graduate and Professional Programs

Master of Science in Marketing FAQs

Program Overview
Program Details
Why Choose Bauer?
Contact Us

Frequently Asked Questions for MS Marketing students are presented here, divided into the categories:

  • Should you apply for the MS or MBA?

    The MS program is shorter – 36 credit hours vs. 48 for the MBA. Therefore it takes less time to complete and costs less.

    The MS also is more focused. After 6 hours of accounting and statistics, you take 30 hours of marketing to complete the MS. The MBA has 21 hours of core requirements including economics, MIS, supply chain, finance, management, accounting, and statistics, along with 27 hours of electives.

    Which is better for you? It comes down to your tastes, ambitions, and professional development needs. If you are focused on marketing and want your degree to brand you as a marketing person, the MS makes sense. If marketing is just your doorway to general management, or you feel that you need broad development across business disciplines, the MBA may be the way to go.

  • Is the MS in Marketing (MSM) program a full time or part time program?

    The MS in Marketing program at Bauer provides both full time and part time options. Full time students can take more credit hours each semester and complete the degree faster. In the meantime, many classes are held from 6 to 9 p.m. on Monday through Thursday; some classes are given on Saturdays or online, allowing students the flexibility to complete the degree part time.

  • Are there summer classes?

    Yes. There are two short non overlapping 5-week summer semesters. During the summer semesters, classes are given from 6 to 10 p.m., twice a week, on Saturday once a week, or online.

  • Is it possible to receive financial aid?

    Financial aid is available to US citizens, US nationals and U.S. permanent residents through the federal government. Financial aid is made up of grants and loans. Grants are very limited and need-based, so students are encouraged to complete their FAFSA as soon as possible after January 1st of the year they plan on attending UH. A graduate student in one of these categories is eligible for $20,500.00 (amount effective fall 2007) per year in Federal Direct subsidized and/or unsubsidized loans. Repayment for both types of loans begins 6 months after graduation or anytime the student drops to less than 5 hours per semester. An application is available through the Free Application for Federal Student Aid web site, at

    If the Federal Direct loans are not sufficient to cover a graduate student’s cost of attendance (as set by the UH Financial Aid Office) other types of loans are available. Students eligible for Federal Stafford Loans may also be eligible for the Grad Plus Loan or a private bank loan. These loans do check credit history. International students may receive a private loan so long as they have a creditworthy cosigner. Additional loan information is available on the UH website, or through your local bank.

    The Bauer College of Business is unique in that it houses a financial aid advisor that exclusively serves its graduate students. If you have any questions regarding financial aid, please contact the Financial Aid Advisor in the Bauer Graduate & Professional Program at

    Contact Information:

    C. T. Bauer College of Business
    Graduate and Professional Programs
    Financial Aid Office
    Insperity Classroom Business Building (CBB), Suite 424 T
    Houston, Texas 77204-6021

  • Are MS in Marketing students eligible for scholarships?

    Students that meet the requirements are eligible for University of Houston scholarships. The Bauer College of Business also offers scholarships for both domestic and international students. A single application is used for all Bauer College scholarships, which can be found at You can apply at any time. There is no deadline, but the earlier you apply, the more scholarships there are available for which you may be considered.

    All aid programs funded by federal and state government agencies, sponsoring individuals, or the College may be changed or eliminated at any time. All financial aid programs and awards are subject to the rules and regulations of the federal and state agencies, the University's Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA), and the Law Center.

    The University of Houston provides equal treatment and opportunity to all persons without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disability, veteran status, or sexual orientation except where such distinction is required by law. This statement reflect compliance with Titles VI and VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title IX of the Educational Amendments of 1972 and all other federal and state regulations. The Office of Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity is available to answer your questions at 713-743-8835.

    The University reserves the right to make changes without notice in any publication as necessitated by University or legislative action.

  • Can I register to begin my MS in Marketing program for a summer semester?'

    No. Admission is only for the Fall and Spring semester.

  • Can I include non-Marketing electives in my MSM program?

    Non-marketing electives may be included in your MSM program with prior approval from the UH Department of Marketing & Entrepreneurship. For example, a student who is focusing on digital marketing might receive approval to take a web programming course or a website graphic design course taught in another department. Again, any such requests must have prior approval.

    The Application Process
  • Are there two different packages I should send?

    No, unless you are an International student. Otherwise, you should put all requirements together in ONE package and send it to the address for Graduate and Professional Programs Office listed on the checklist page. International students need to send the additional international forms in a separate package to the International Admissions address listed on the checklist page as well.

  • I am already a graduate student on UH main campus and I am interested on switching to the MS in Marketing Program. What is the process that I should follow?

    If I am a current MBA student

    Pay $75 MS in Marketing application fee. The MBA fee does NOT apply to the MSM program. These are two different programs, and therefore they require their own application fee. Submit a new application online using the Apply Texas Application. You may bring new letters of recommendation or use the ones on file. Request the MBA office to forward copies of your file to "Graduate and Professional Programs - 6021."

    * It is the student's responsibility to check with the MBA office on regards to forwarding the file on time in order for the application to get processed.

    If I am a current or former UH graduate student from another college on the main campus

    Pay $75 MS in Marketing application fee. Applications fees previously paid as a graduate student do NOT apply to the MSM program. These are different programs and therefore they required their own application fee.

    Submit an application to the MS in Marketing Program using the Apply Texas Application.

    2 Letters of Recommendation.

    Request your previous college administration office to forward copies of your file to us "Center for Executive Development - Mail Code 6021."

    If GRE has been taken within 5 years for a previous graduate program, we will accept your GRE scores and you will not need to take the GMAT. If you have not taken any of the tests you will be required to take the GMAT for application (No exceptions).

    * It is the applicant's responsibility to check with their previous graduate office on regards to forwarding the file on time in order for the application to get processed. If your previous College permits it, they may send sealed copies with you on an envelope from their department to ours or they may send copies of your file to "Graduate and Professional Programs - Mail Code 6021."

  • Which of the admissions criteria are most important?

    Applications are considered in their entirety. While strengths vary from one applicant to another, we seek those students who combine strong academic aptitude & quantitative analytical aptitude.

  • Why is it beneficial to apply early?

    All applications are carefully considered. Thus, early application is very helpful in those situations in which some information is missing or additional data is needed. This allows the applicant the time to address any financial aid or housing issues that may arise, or, if the applicant is an international student, it allows extra time to arrange for visa and funding.

  • Can I find out by telephone whether I have been accepted or denied admission to the program?

    No. Decisions are conveyed by mail or email; there are no exceptions.

  • What are the guidelines for recommendation letters?

    We do not have a standard form for recommendation letters. Recommendation letters should come from a professional (professor, employer, volunteer coordinator, etc.) who knows you well enough to describe why you would be a good candidate for the MSM program. Recommendation letters can be submitted by the applicant or the referral source. Letters should be on letterhead, and sealed in an envelope with the writer's signature across the flap for confidentiality.

    Transfers & Waivers
  • Can I transfer graduate classes taken elsewhere (i.e., in another University) that are similar to the courses in the MSM program?

    Yes, you may; upon approval from the UH Department of Marketing & Entrepreneurship.

  • How many courses can I transfer?

    You may transfer or waive a maximum of 9 credit hours subject to the transfer credit guidelines.

  • How many courses can I waive?

    You may transfer or waive a maximum of 9 credit hours.

  • Can I apply for a waiver if I have a bachelor’s degree in business?

    Yes. You may apply for a waiver of any of the core courses in Accounting, Statistics, or Marketing if you have taken sufficient undergraduate coursework as approved by the UH Department of Marketing & Entrepreneurship. This does not include the Professional Project requirement, which may not be waived.

  • What is the difference between transferring and waiving a course?

    A course transfer allows you to earn credits in the MSM program for work done elsewhere. A waiver of a core course simply eliminates that requirement. Waived courses need not be replaced, and hence reduce the total number of credit hours required for program completion.

  • Can I substitute Marketing courses with graduate courses of my interest from other majors and/ or institutions?

    Non-marketing electives may be included in your MSM program with prior approval from the UH Department of Marketing & Entrepreneurship. For example, a student who is focusing on digital marketing might receive approval to take a web programming course or a website graphic design course taught in another department. Again, any such requests must have prior approval.

  • Do you accept GRE scores instead of GMAT scores?

    Yes. We do accept the GRE exam. The scores can not be older than 5 years, and official scores should be sent to University of Houston, Main Campus ETS code 6870.

  • What is the minimum score required for the GRE exam?

    There are no minimum scores required, but scores below 1200 decrease the probability of acceptance.

  • What are the minimum acceptable GPA and GMAT scores?

    There are no minimum scores required, but the average of those admitted recently is a 3.40 GPA and 640 GMAT. GPA and GMAT scores significantly below those averages decrease the probability of acceptance.

  • If I take the GMAT more than once, are my scores averaged?

    No. The admissions decision will be based on your highest score. Score cannot be older than five years.

  • How must GMAT scores be submitted?

    You may submit the unofficial score report generated by the computer at the end of the test session to the MSF program office. For verification purposes, however, you must also request that the GMAT administration send your official score report directly to the University of Houston, using our school code number XT1-26-15. Without official scores, the application will not be processed.

  • What if my official GMAT scores, including the AWA, arrive after the deadline?

    We must have your official GMAT score by the application deadline, which is April 1 for international applicants and June 1 for domestic applicants. ETS generally takes 12-15 working days to send the scores, so please plan accordingly.

  • How do I apply to take the GMAT?

    Write or call:
    Graduate Management Admission Test
    Educational Testing Service
    P.O. Box 6103
    Princeton, NJ 08541-6103
    Telephone: 1-800-462-8669 or go to: 1-800-GMAT-NOW

  • I've taken the GMAT more than once. Can I submit components from various testing dates?

    No. Component GMAT scores, including verbal, quantitative, and analytical writing assessment tests, must be reported from the same date. While the report contains all of your scores, Bauer College will focus on the best.

  • Is the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or International English Language Testing System (IELTS) required?

    Yes, if you earned your undergraduate degree outside the U.S., Australia, New Zealand, English-speaking Canada, or the United Kingdom, regardless of whether the program you attended was conducted in English. You may take either the TOEFL or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS) test. TOEFL/IELTS scores may not be more than 2 years old. These tests are waived for applicants who earned a previous college degree in the U.S.

  • How do I apply to take the TOEFL or IELTS?

    The TOEFL is administered by the Educational Testing Service (ETS). Information is available on the internet at Information on the IELTS is available on the internet at

  • What must I score on the TOEFL or IELTS to be considered?

    TOEFL of at least 620 on the paper-based test or 105 on the internet-based test, or an IELTS score above 6.5, are required for admission to the Bauer College, as they enhance your chances of success with the Bauer College’s rigorous reading, writing, and class discussion requirements.

  • Must I also take the Test of Written English (TWE)?

    No, it is not required for admission.

  • Although my education was completed overseas, I am now a U.S. citizen. Will UH waive the TOEFL/IELTS?

    No, unless you meet the conditions outlined above. Whether you are a U.S. citizen (or permanent resident) is not the issue. You must take the TOEFL or IELTS unless you have completed a previous academic degree in one of the countries mentioned above.

  • If I take the TOEFL or more than once, are my scores averaged?

    No. We consider only your highest score. You may take the test as many times as you like.

  • How long does it take for UH to receive my scores?

    Usually, official scores will be reported to UH four (4) weeks after you take the test.

    Experience & Degrees
  • How important is my work experience in the admission decision?

    Professional experience is not required for admission, but is strongly preferred. It is one of the factors considered in evaluating the applicant and it may enhance the applicant’s chances of admission.

  • Must I have an undergraduate degree to enter the graduate program?

    Yes. You must have a four-year undergraduate degree from an accredited college or university if you received your education in the United States. If you are an international applicant, your undergraduate degree must be the equivalent of a U.S. four-year bachelor's degree. If you have completed a three-year Bachelor of Commerce (B.COM) degree from India or Pakistan, we also require that you have completed the Master of Commerce (M.COM) degree or similar post-graduate degree. For specifics on International requirements you may contact The International Admissions Office.

  • What undergraduate major is required?

    No particular undergraduate major is required in order to pursue the MSM.

  • Does the program have any academic pre-requisites?