Organization Officer FAQs
Bauer Student organization check processing
- Checks should be made payable to UH College of Business Foundation.
- Memo lines should be the name of the student organization.
- Checks should be sent to the following address:
UH College of Business Foundation
334 Melcher Hall
Houston, TX 77204-6021
- Designate one officer to retrieve checks throughout the semester. This officer will be notified via email when a check has been processed and is ready to be released. In order to receive the check, the officer must:
- Present his/her student ID for verification purposes
- Sign the official check release form
- Submit a thank you letter ready to be mailed to the donor—the letter should be placed in an unsealed envelope labeled with the mailing and return addresses. Addresses should be typed, not handwritten. A postage stamp should be placed on the envelope.
Bank account transitions
Student organizations with bank accounts at the on-campus TDECU Credit Union are allowed access to the account, based on the information submitted to the UH Center for Student Involvement. This information should be kept current in order to ensure security.
In order to open a bank account, every organization must fill out IRS Form SS-4 in order to be assigned a tax ID number. This does NOT make the organization tax exempt. In order to gain 501(c)(3) status as a tax exempt organization, an organization must submit IRS Form 1023. In addition, this status requires that an organization submit Form 990 annually to the IRS. Under no circumstance should a student organization attempt to use the tax exempt information of Bauer College or the College of Business Foundation.
Bauer College has funding available to help student organizations travel outside of Houston for case competitions, conferences, and other professional development opportunities. In order to be considered for this funding, an organization needs to submit the following documents to Jonathan Shirley:
- A proposal that answers the following questions:
- What is the purpose of this trip?
- How will the organization benefit from having its members attend?
- How will UH Bauer benefit from having its students attend?
- An itemized budget of all expenses to be incurred during the trip
- A travel request
Activities Funding Board
The University of Houston Activities Funding Board is another avenue for organizations to obtain funding. There are some regulations around what the money can be used for, and you can use the following link to read about how to apply for funding, http://www.uh.edu/afb/.
Bauer student organizations are encouraged to promote their activities and accomplishments through a wide variety of outlets.
- Website: Every Bauer student organization is featured on the UH Bauer website. As this is usually the primary source of information about the organization, it is imperative that the content is accurate, complete, and current.
- Bulletin boards are available for use on the first floor of Melcher Hall along the student activities hallway. Space is assigned each semester.
- TV screens located in the lobby area of Melcher Hall can also be used to promote upcoming events. Create a 16:9 PowerPoint slide and submit it to the activities advisor at least a week prior to the event. These slides can also be emailed directly to Amanda Sebesta, email@example.com.
- Flyers can be posted throughout Melcher Hall, Cemo Hall, and the University Classroom and Business Building (UCBB) using the metal sliders placed near classroom doors and other high traffic areas in the buildings. There are also two public bulletin boards at either end of the first floor of Melcher Hall that can be used for these flyers. However, posting signs is prohibited in the following areas:
- Inside classrooms
- Inside bathrooms
- Classroom doors
- Aluminum columns inside Melcher Hall
- **Using tape, staples, or thumb tacks is strictly prohibited on any surface.
Rush Week is the primary recruiting event hosted during the second week of each semester from Tuesday through Thursday. This event is exclusively for recognized Bauer student organizations that have successfully completed the registration process with Bauer College and the UH Center for Student Involvement. Undergraduate organization tables will be located in the back drum area of Melcher Hall from 9 a.m.-3 p.m. and graduate organizations will be in the AIM Ticker area of Melcher Hall from 4-6 p.m. Each organization is responsible for providing its own decorations, promotional materials, equipment, etc.
Registered Bauer student organizations can request to use classroom space in Melcher Hall, Cemo Hall, and the University Classroom and Business Building by filling out the room reservation request form, https://www.bauer.uh.edu/roomrequest/. Requests can be made each semester after the student organization officer orientation.
Requests will only be accepted for events that are scheduled starting the fourth week of the semester. Any reservation requests prior to this time should be directed to the UC, or other meeting spaces on campus.
For large events, consider requesting custodial services. For events with large keynote speakers, or dignitaries, or high ranking company officials, please notify Jonathan Shirley for arrangements with Office of Communications and the University.
For tables/chairs requests, those requests need to go through Jonathan Shirley or Sam Dinger 72 hours prior to the event. Please include a diagram of how you would like the setup. For microphones/IT equipment, contact the Bauer IT department in Melcher Hall room 102, phone 743-4871. Parking for guests is available in the East Garage or Welcome Center Garage, information can be found at http://www.uh.edu/pts/parkrules.htm#visitor.
- Our Approach
- Ted Bauer Leadership Certificate Program
- Bauer Leadership Council
- Student Activities
- Other Programs
Want More Information?