Faculty & Doctoral Research
Bauer faculty, if you would like to update your Faculty Achievements, please contact us with the information.
Accountancy & Taxation
- Clinical Assistant Professor Jim Stinson received two awards — a 2012 Advising Excellence Award from Bauer College and a 2012 Significant Contribution by a Member in Education Award from the Houston Society of CPAs.
- Associate Professor Emre Kilic received 2012 teaching awards from both Bauer College and the Department of Accountancy & Taxation.
- Associate Professor Jan Meade became the Faculty Director for Advising and received 2012 service awards from both Bauer College and the Department of Accountancy & Taxation.
- Professor Gerald Lobo had seven papers published in top academic accounting research journals.
- Professor Saleha Khumawala continued to build microfinance initiatives at Bauer College, with a team of students from the college’s MicroFinance Initiative traveling to Washington, D.C., to present at the Clinton Global Initiative University.
Decision & Information Sciences
- Faculty members from the department have taken a strong leadership position within the Decision Sciences Institute, the premier society for the development and advancement of the discipline, with approximately 2,000 members internationally. Professor Powell Robinson is president of the Institute for 2012-2013 and was the keynote speaker for the 2012 annual meeting in Istanbul, Turkey. Associate Professor Funda Sahin is the program chair for the 2013 annual meeting, expected to draw 1,000 paper submissions and 1,400 members. Sahin previously served as vice president of the Institute.
- Professor Wynne Chin brought the 7th International Conference on Partial Least Squares and Related Methods to North America for the first time in May 2012, serving as co-chair. In August of the same year, he gave an invited talk on research methodology to the Ph.D. Project for Minority Business Doctoral Students. He also has served as a guest senior editor for MIS Quarterly and the Journal of the AIS, and was the research methods track chair for the Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2012. In addition, Chin was recently appointed to the board of the Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education, an organization that focuses on issues involving faculty and students of Asian ancestry in higher education.
- Faculty from the department lead academic research in their respective fields, with Associate Professor Jaana Porra serving as an associate editor for the Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Associate Professor Norman Johnson as associate editor of both the Decisions Science Journal and the European Journal of Information Systems, and Associate Professor Leiser Silva as senior editor for a special issue of the Information Systems Journal on IT in developing countries.
- Associate Professor Norman Johnson has also been ranked in the top 50 most successful researchers for his output of articles published in MIS Quarterly between 2007 and 2011.
- Assistant Professor Arunachalam Narayanan will serve as the 2012 Annual Meeting Program Chair of the Supply Chain Management Educators Conference for the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals, the leading practitioner-academic society for SCM professionals. In 2012, Narayanan served as proceedings editor for the conference and a member of the organization’s educational strategies committee in 2012-2013.
- Assistant Professor David Peng received the 2011 Best Paper Reviewer Award from the Journal of Operations Management.
- Faculty from the department worked with student teams to prepare them for national and international competitions. Clinical Assistant Professor Gordon Smith coached MBA students Azhar Mohammed and Krithika Krishnan to win first place in the 2012 Graduate Student Chuck Nelson Student Paper Contest, while Clinical Assistant Professor Michael Murray worked with an MBA student team that placed second in the U.S. and fifth overall in the Annual ERPsim International Competition sponsored by HEC Montreal.
- A paper by Assistant Professor Hitesh Doshi, Professor Kris Jacobs and Professor Stuart Turnbull (with Jan Ericsson of McGill University), “On Pricing Credit Default Swaps with Observable Covariates,” received the best paper award in May 2012 at a conference organized by HEC Montreal in association with IFM2.
- Department Chair Praveen Kumar was named the co-editor-in-chief of Corporate Governance: An International Review, beginning in January 2013. In addition, Kumar spoke at the Great Lakes Global Thought Leadership Series on “Strategies for Superior Performance in the Oil & Gas Industry in the 21st Century,” in New Delhi, India, in August 2012.
- Professor Craig Pirrong was named to the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank’s Working Group on Financial Markets in 2011.
Marketing & Entrepreneurship
- Professor Michael Ahearne received the inaugural Neil Rackham Research Dissemination Award from the Sales Education Foundation for the impact of his research on business practices.
- Professor Steve Brown was named as an Associate Editor for Journal of Marketing.
- Professor Vanessa Patrick was named to the editorial board of Journal of Consumer Research.
- Professor Steve Brown rejoined the editorial board for Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. Brown also serves on the editorial boards for Journal of Marketing, Journal of Retailing, and Journal of Services Research.
- Professor Michael Ahearne and doctoral alum Doug Hughes won the AMA Sales SIG 2011 Excellence in Research Award for their Journal of Marketing paper entitled "Energizing the Reseller’s Sales Force: The Power of Brand Identification." The Excellence in Research Award is intended to recognize a professional selling and/or sales management article published during the previous year that has made a significant contribution to the sales discipline.
- Professor Michael Ahearne was named Editor-in-Chief for Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management.
- Professor Keith Cox was chairman of the American Economic Association in 1979 and joined others to celebrate the founding of the AMA 75 years ago.
- Department chair Professor Leanne Atwater presented the 4th Annual Bass Distinguished Scholar Lecture at Binghamton University, “Leader-follower relationships: The good, the bad and the ugly.”
- Clinical Assistant Professor Barb Carlin was awarded the University of Houston Teaching Award in Spring 2012.
- Professor Laura Cardinal was a plenary speaker at the 2nd Empirical Research in Management Accounting & Control Conference at Vienna University of Economics and Business: “A management perspective on organizational control.“ Cardinal was also recognized with an outstanding reviewer award from the Strategic Management Journal at the Strategic Management Society Meetings.
- Professor Chet Miller was awarded the 2012 Academy of Management Review Best Paper Award for the article, “The paradox of stretch goals: Pursuit of the seeming impossible in organizations.” He was also a plenary speaker at the 2nd Empirical Research in Management Accounting & Control Conference at Vienna University of Economics and Business: “The paradox of stretch goals: Organizations in pursuit of the seemingly impossible.” In addition, Miller was recognized with an outstanding reviewer award by the Academy of Management Journal at the Academy of Management Meetings and with an outstanding reviewer award by the Managerial and Organizational Cognition Division of the Academy of Management in 2011.