Joel Le Bon
Clinical Professor - Director of Executive Education, Sales Excellence Institute
Joël Le Bon is Clinical Professor of Marketing and serves as Director of Executive Education for the Sales Excellence Institute. He received a Bachelor of Arts in Management Science, a Master of Science in Marketing and Strategy, and a PhD in Marketing from the University of Paris Dauphine. He was a Postdoctoral Scholar at the Pennsylvania State University within the Institute for the Study of Business Markets (ISBM) and is also an alumnus of the Kellogg ITP program of Northwestern University.
Prior to joining the University of Houston, Dr. Le Bon worked in both France and Singapore for over 10 years as an Associate Professor of Marketing and Department Head at ESSEC Business School which is widely regarded as a top business school in Europe. Before joining academia, he was a Strategic Account Manager for XEROX Corporation in France, and had sales and sales management roles in the media industry where he won several all-time sales awards.
Dr. Le Bon's research focuses on the contribution of the sales force to competitive intelligence activities and financial performance, customer satisfaction analysis and measurement, the marketing and relational aspects of trade credit management, and brand management. His work has been published in the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, the International Journal of Research in Marketing, the Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, and in Industrial Marketing Management among other academic journals. He was selected as the winner of the American Marketing Association (AMA) Best Doctoral Dissertation Award in the Sales and Distribution Area and is the first marketing professor to receive the IBM Faculty Award in France. He has also received several academic distinctions for his research including best paper awards from the AMA, the National Conference in Sales Management (NCSM), the Society for Marketing Advances (SMA), the French Marketing Association (AFM) and the French National Foundation for Management Education (FNEGE).
Dr. Le Bon teaching leverages his rich international background and experience and covers such topics as marketing strategy, brand management, customer relationship management, advanced professional selling, sales management and leadership, negotiation or pricing strategies. He consults and has directed numerous Executive Education Programs internationally for companies such as 3M, Arthur D. Little, BASF, DHL, Essilor, Eiffage, Groupama, Hanglas, IBM, Mazars, Renault-Nissan, Orange, Rogers, Schlumberger, Samsung Motors, Sodexo, Thales, among others. He is the first international professor awarded the AMA's Prentice Hall Solomon-Marshall-Stuart Best Teacher Award for Innovative Excellence in Marketing Education.
Joël Le Bon has worked and lived in Europe, Asia and the United States with his wife and their three children. He was born in the island of Mauritius (Indian Ocean) where he enjoys playing golf with his son and friends.
- Salesforce & Competitive Intelligence
- Salesforce, Financial Performance & Trade Credit Management
- Customer Satisfaction Analysis & Measurement
- Brand Management
Areas of Expertise
- Professional Selling & Sales Negotiation
- Customer Relationship Management
- Marketing Strategy & Sales Strategy
- Hughes D., Le Bon J., and Rapp A. (2013), Gaining and Leveraging Customer-Based Competitive Intelligence: The Pivotal Role of Social Capital and Salesperson Adaptive Selling Skills, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 41, 91-110.
- Hughes D., Le Bon J., and Malshe A. (2012), The Marketing-Sales Interface at the Interface: Creating Market-Based Capabilities through Organizational Synergy, Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management, 32 (1), 57-72.
- Le Bon J. and Matsoukis L. (2009), Les delais de paiement en Asie : Une analyse de Singapour et Hong Kong (Payment Practices in Asia: An Analysis of Singapore and Hong Kong), in Rapport 2009 de la Banque de France sur les Delais de Paiement, section 6.1, Editions de la Banque de France (The French Central Bank Editor), decembre, Paris : France.
- Le Bon J. (2009), Stimuler ses ventes sans simuler ses performances financieres : Enjeux du credit client, enjeux marketing et crise d'enjeux (Stimulating Sales without Simulating Financial Performances: Trade Credit Issues, Marketing Issues and Crisis Issues), in Le Readership Responsable, chap. 14, p. 177-185, Gualino Lextenso Editions, Paris : France.
- Le Bon J. and Hughes D. (2009), The Dilemma of Outsourced Customer Service and Care: Research Propositions from a Transaction Cost Perspective, Industrial Marketing Management, 38, 4, 391-397.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (2006), The impact of individual and managerial factors on salespeople's contribution to marketing intelligence activities, International Journal of Research in Marketing, 23, 4, 395-408.
- Le Bon J. (2006), La Force de Vente et les Activites d'Intelligence Economique (The Sales Force and Competitive Intelligence Activities), Revue Francaise de Gestion, 32, 163, 15-30.
- Le Bon J. (2003), Capital de marque et internet : les nouveaux enjeux de l'e-communication de l'insatisfaction des clients (Brand Equity and the Internet : The New Issues in the E-Communication of Customer Dissatisfaction), Revue Francaise de Gestion, 29, 145, 187-201.
- Ahearne M. and Le Bon J. (2001), The Definition of Sales, in The World Book Encyclopedia, Chicago, World Book Publishing.
- Le Bon J. (2000), De l'intelligence economique a la veille marketing et commerciale : vers une necessaire mise au point conceptuelle et theorique (From Competitive Intelligence to Marketing Intelligence: Towards a Necessary Conceptual and Theoretical Reflection), in Enclyclopedie de la Vente et de la Distribution, p. 177-185, Bloch A. et Macquin A. eds, Economica, Paris : France.
- Le Bon J. (1997), Contribution des vendeurs aux activites de veille marketing et commerciale : D'un cadre conceptuel aux opportunites de recherche (Salespeople's Contribution to Competitive Intelligence Activities: From a Conceptual Framework to Research Opportunities), Recherche et Applications en Marketing, 12, 3, 5-24.
- Conference Proceedings:
- Le Bon J., Rapp A., and Hughes D. (2012), Competing with Competitive Intelligence: When Salespeople's Customer-Based Information Impact Firm Performance, AMA Winter Educators' Conference Proceedings, February, St Petersburg, Florida, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J., Rapp A., Hughes D., and Andzulis J. (2011), Competitive Intelligence Diffusion in the Buyer-Seller Exchange Process: The Influence on Product Competitiveness, Customer Satisfaction, and Brand Preference, SMA Conference Proceedings, November, Memphis, U.S.A. (Irwin/McGraw Hill Steven J. Shaw Overall Conference Best Paper Award & Best Paper Award Sales & Sales Management Track).
- Le Bon J. (2011), Avoiding and Collecting Customers' Late Payment: An Investigation of the Influential Role of Salespeople, AMA Winter Educators' Conference Proceedings, February, Austin, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J. and Rapp A. (2010), Assessing the Impact of Salespeople's Field-Based Competitive Intelligence on Product Competitiveness and Brand Preference, AMA Winter Educators' Conference Proceedings, February, New Orleans, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J. (2009), When Companies' Cash Flow and Sustainability is at Stake: An Analysis of Salespeople's Role in the Collection of Customers' Late Payment, Australian New Zealand Marketing Academy Proceedings, December, Melbourne, Australia.
- Le Bon J. and Hughes D. (2009), When Things Go Wrong: Relying on Customer Service to Maintain Brand Preference, Loyalty, and Share of Wallet, AMA Summer Educators' Conference Proceedings, August, Chicago, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J. (2009), Facilitating and Accelerating the Collection of Customer's Late Payment: The Key Role of the Sales Organization, National Conference in Sales Management Proceedings, March, Norfolk, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J. (2009), Appraising, Predicting, and Preventing Business Customer Dissatisfaction and Disloyalty: Highlights and Impacts of a Marketing and Accounting Initiative, AMA Winter Educators' Conference Proceedings, February, Tampa, USA. (Best Paper Award Interorganizations Issues Track).
- Le Bon J. (2008), Cross-Functional Customer Management: Foreseeing B2B Services Customer Dissatisfaction and Disloyalty With a Marketing & Accounting Governance, Australian New Zealand Marketing Academy Proceedings, December, Sydney, Australia.
- Le Bon J. (2008), Understanding and Assessing the Power of the Sales Organization in Accelerating Customers' Payment Delay, AMA Summer Educators' Conference Proceedings, August, San Diego, USA. (Best Paper Award Sales & Sales Management Track).
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (2008), Developing the Sales Force's Participation to Competitive Intelligence Activities: A Marketing and Sales Perspective, Global Sales Science Institute (GSSI) Conference Proceedings, June, Athens, Greece.
- Le Bon J. (2008), Investigating and Asserting the Influence of the Sales Force on the Prevention of Customers' Late Payment, Academy of Marketing Science Proceedings, May, Vancouver, Canada.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (2008), Enhancing Sales Force's Productivity towards Competitive Intelligence Activities: A Marketing and Sales Responsibility, Christian-Albrechts-University at Kiel & Marketing Science Institute, Biennial Conference on Enhancing Sales Force Productivity Proceedings, May, Kiel, Germany.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (2008), Salespeople's Participation in Competitive Surveillance: A Model and an Empirical Test in the French Legally Constrained Environment, Global Marketing Conference at Shanghai, Korean Academy of Marketing Science Proceedings, March, Shanghai, China.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (2000), Stimuler l'effort des vendeurs envers les activites des vendeurs envers les activites de veille marketing : d'un modele conceptuel aux evidences empiriques, Actes du Congres International de l'AFM, May, Montreal, Canada.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (1999), Explaining and Managing the Salespeople's Effort towards Competitive Intelligence: Evidences from the C.I.A. Salesperson Scale, AMA Summer Educators' Conference Proceedings, August, San Francisco, Californie, U.S.A. (Best Paper Award Sales Force Management, Personal Selling and Channels of Distribution Track).
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (1999), Few Salespeople Transmit Marketing Information to Managers, Does Motivation Count or else Attitude?, Marketing Communications and Consumer Behavior Conference Proceedings, June, La Londe les Maures, France.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (1999), The C.I.A. Salesperson Scale: A New Scale to Measure the Competitive Intelligence Attitude of Salespeople, Competitive Paper, The 28th EMAC Conference Proceedings, May, Berlin, Germany.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (1999), The Mediating Effect of Salespersons' Attitude towards Competitive Intelligence: Empirical Test and Managerial Considerations, National Conference in Sales Management Proceedings, April, New Orleans, Louisiane, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (1999), Measuring the Competitive Intelligence Attitude of Salespeople: Validation of the C.I.A. Salesperson Scale, AMA Winter Educators' Conference Proceedings, February, St Petersburg, Floride, U.S.A.
- Le Bon J. and Merunka D. (1998), Salespeople's Contribution to the Marketing Information System: A Measurement of their Attitude towards Marketing and Sales Intelligence, AMA Marketing Exchange Colloquium Proceedings, July, Vienne, Autriche.
- Le Bon J. (1998), C.I.A. Salesperson Scale: Towards a New Scale to Measure the Competitive Intelligence Attitude of Salespeople, National Conference in Sales Management Proceedings, April, Norfolk, Virginia, U.S.A. (Best Doctoral Student Paper Award).
BooksLe Bon J. (2013), Competitive Intelligence and the Sales Force: How to Gain Market Leadership through Competitive Intelligence, NY: Business Expert Press.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Global Academy of Marketing Science, Korean Academy of Marketing Science.
- Member of the Editorial Board of the Journal of Global Fashion Marketing, Korean Academy of Marketing Science.
- No Web Site Currently
- Advanced Professional Selling
- Customer Relationship Management
Ph.D. in Marketing
Paris Dauphine University
M.Sc. Marketing & Strategy
Paris Dauphine University
B.A. Management Science
Paris Dauphine University