Rachel Sturm is a doctoral student in Management at the University of Houston, C.T. Bauer College of Business. Her research interests include behavioral decision theory, leadership, and self-other rating agreement. She is currently working on her dissertation which is exploring the role of power in ethical decision-making processes.
Rachel graduated summa cum laude with a Bachelors in Psychology from Binghamton University, and immediately entered into the UH Ph.D. program. Prior to joining the program, she has worked as a research assistant in a psychopathology lab as well as conducted research on CEO leadership and fraud. She has also worked as an assistant account executive at a mid-size marketing firm and interned as a sales account executive.
- Behavioral decision theory
- Ethics and power
- Self-other rating agreement
- Fleenor, J. W., Smither, J. W., Atwater, L. E., Braddy, P. W., & Sturm, R. E. (2010). Self-other rating agreement in leadership: A review. Leadership Quarterly, 21(6), 1005-1034.
*Nominated for Leadership Quarterly's 2010 Best Paper of the Year award.
Sturm, R. E. & Vera, D. (2011). Towards an expanded model of transcendent leadership: Substitutes and the societal level. Paper published in the Academy of Management Best Papers Proceedings.
- Sturm, R. E., Taylor, S. N., Atwater, L. E., & Braddy, P . W. (2013). Predicted-other ratings: An examination and implications for women leaders. At Academy of Management Annual Conference. Orlando, Florida.
- Samba, C. & Sturm, R. E. (2012). Moral person transgressions in the c-suite: An investigation of observer reactions. At the first annual University of Houston Doctoral Symposium in Leadership. Houston, Texas.
- Sturm, R. E. & Adamson, K. A. (2012). Toward a new perspective on U.S. culture: Understanding paradox through the Yin Yang paradigm. At the inagural Yin Yang Conference. Stockholm, Sweden.
- Braddy, P. W., Sturm, R. E., Atwater, L. E., Smither, J. W., & Fleenor, J. W. (2012). Validating the Feedback Orientation Scale: Leaders' reactions to developmental feedback. At Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Annual Conference. San Diego, California.
- Sturm, R. E., Taylor, S. N., & Atwater, L. E. (2012). Predicting supervisor ratings: The effects of gender, age, and personality. At Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology Annual Conference. San Diego, California.
- Sturm, R. E. & Vera, D. (2011). Towards an expanded model of transcendent leadership: Substitutes and the societal level. At Academy of Management Annual Conference. San Antonio, Texas.
- Sturm, R. E. (2011). Discussant on managing ethics in a changing world. At Southwest Academy of Management Annual Conference. Houston, Texas.
- Sturm, R. E. (2010). Strategic thinking: Evidence at a cortical level from fMRI and EEG studies. At the 31st IOOB Annual Conference. Houston, Texas.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Academy of Management Association
- Society for Industrial and Organizational Psychology
Activities & Interests
- 2013 Management Department Doctoral Student Award for Excellence in Teaching
- 2011 Management Department Doctoral Student Award for Excellence in Research
- Nominated as 1 of 2 representatives from the United States for Dr. Fang's 2012 cultural research project
- No Web Site Currently