Rex Yuxing Du
Professor - Marvin Hurley Professor of Marketing
Rex Yuxing Du is the Marvin Hurley Professor of Marketing at the Bauer College of Business, University of Houston. He received his Ph.D. in Marketing from the Fuqua School of Business, Duke University. Rex has published in various leading marketing journals, including Journal of Marketing Research, Journal of Marketing, Marketing Science, Management Science, Journal of Consumer Research, International Journal of Research in Marketing, and Quantitative Marketing and Economics. Rex was the winner of the Alden G. Clayton Award for the Marketing Science Institute Dissertation Competition in 2003. In 2005, he won the Best Paper Award at the Marketing EDGE. In 2007, he was a finalist for the Marketing Science Institute/H. Paul Root Award for significant contribution to the advancement of the practice of marketing. In 2009, he received the prestigious nomination as a Marketing Science Institute Young Scholar. In 2011 and 2014, he won the Best Paper Award at the American Marketing Association's Advanced Research Technique Forum. In 2017, Rex was a finalist for the William F. O'Dell Award, which honors the JMR article published five years ago that has made the most significant, long-term contribution to marketing theory, methodology, and/or practice. Rex's current research interests lie in online consumer interest tracking, brand health tracking, market response modeling, interactive marketing, customer relationship management, new product diffusion and sales forecasting. Rex teaches marketing research, customer relationship management and database marketing.
- Online Consumer Interest Tracking
- Brand Health Tracking
- Market Response Modeling
- Big Data
- Interactive Marketing
- Customer Relationship Management
- Marketing Metrics and Performance Evaluation
- Household Consumption and Financial Portfolio
- New Product Diffusion and Sales Forecasting
Areas of Expertise
- Empirical Modeling
- Marketing Analytics
- Database Marketing
- Market Research
- Customer Relationship Management
- Du, Rex, Ye Hu, and Sina Damangir, "Leveraging Trends in Online Searches for Product Features in Market Response Modeling," Journal of Marketing, 79 (1), 29-43, (2015).
- Du, Rex and Wagner Kamakura, "Improving the Statistical Performance of Tracking Studies Based on Repeated Cross-Sections with Primary Dynamic Factor Analysis," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 32 (1), 94-112, (2015).
- Hu, Ye, Rex Du, and Sina Damangir, "Decomposing the Impact of Advertising: Augmenting Sales with Online Search Data," Journal of Marketing Research, 51 (3), 300-310, (2014).
- Eunkyu Lee, Richard Staelin, Weon Yoo, and Rex Du, "A "Meta" Analysis of Multi-Brand, Multi-Outlet Channel Systems," Management Science, 59 (9), 1950-1969, (2013).
- Du, Rex and Wagner Kamakura, "Quantitative Trendspotting," Journal of Marketing Research, 49 (4), 514-536, (2012).
- Kamakura, Wagner and Rex Du, "How Economic Contractions and Expansions Affect Expenditure Patterns," Journal of Consumer Research, 39 (2), 229-247, (2012).
- Du, Rex and Wagner Kamakura, "Measuring Contagion in the Diffusion of Consumer Packaged Goods," Journal of Marketing Research, (February), 28-47, (2011).
- Du, Rex and Wagner Kamakura, "Where Did All That Money Go? Understanding How Consumers Allocate Their Consumption Budget," 72 (6), 109-131, Journal of Marketing, (2008).
- Du, Rex, Wagner Kamakura, and Carl Mela , "Size and Share of Customer Wallet," Journal of Marketing, 71 (April), 94-113, (2007).
- Du, Rex and Wagner Kamakura, "Household Life Cycles and Lifestyles in the United States," Journal of Marketing Research, 43 (1), 121-132, (2006).
- Moorman, Chris, Rex Du, and Carl Mela, "The Effect of Standardized Information on Firm Survival and Marketing Strategies," Marketing Science, 24 (2), 263-274, (2005).
- Du, Rex, Eunkyu Lee, and Richard Staelin, "Bridge, Focus, Attack, or Stimulate: Retail Category Management Strategies with a Store Brand," Quantitative Marketing and Economics, 3 (4), 393-418, (2005).
- Du, Rex and John Farley, "Research on Technological Innovation as Seen through the Chinese Looking Glass," Journal of Enterprising Culture, 9 (1), 53-89, (2001).
- Clarke, Thomas and Rex Du, "Corporate Governance in China: Explosive Growth and New Patterns of Ownership," Long Range Planning, 31 (2), 239-251, (1998).
- Marketing Administration (EMBA)
Ph.D., Marketing, Duke University
B.Engr., Shanghai Jiaotong University