A business student already on Academic Probation who earns less than a 2.00 semester GPA at UH is put on Academic Suspension by the Bauer College of Business and the University of Houston. While on Academic Suspension, students will not be able to enroll in classes at UH. Readmission is not guaranteed.
Juniors and Seniors
Students with 60 or more hours of college credit are not eligible for readmission to the Bauer College. Students with 60 or more hours may explore alternative options at the University. However, it is critical to review and evaluate entry requirements into the alternative major prior to initiating the readmission application process again. Generally, students in this situation wishing to continue their studies in business or another related area are best served by considering other universities such as UH-Downtown, UH-Clear Lake or UH-Victoria. Each are separate institutions and may have varied admission requirements; please see their respective websites for more detailed information.
Freshmen and Sophomores
Readmission for students with less than 60 hours is very selective because all pre-business students must be able to achieve a 2.50 overall UH GPA within any remaining coursework required to file a degree plan.
University policy mandates a minimum time period during which a student is ineligible to apply for readmission (see chart below).
|First Suspension||Second Suspension||Third Suspension|
Twelve (12) months
- Students with less than 60 hours are not automatically readmitted. Readmission for those students is very selective because pre-business majors must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA at UH to file a degree plan by the time they have completed 60 college credit hours.
- Students with 60 or more hours are not eligible for readmission to the Bauer College.
Procedure for Readmission
Students who wish to be considered for readmission to the Bauer College must reapply to the University of Houston. Students should review the Bauer College readmission requirements before reapplying and paying a non-refundable application fee.
Applications will be subject to an individual review by a committee of academic advising staff and a determination will be based on:
- Academic Performance at the school attended during your absence from the University of Houston. Grades of 'B' or higher are expected.
- Other factors given consideration may include initial reasons for departure, past academic performance, career intentions and how returning to complete a business degree aligns with professional goals. In some cases, students may be contacted and asked to submit additional information or to meet in person.
- Target GPA on remaining degree plan filing requirements will be considered for all Pre-Business Students. It must be mathematically possible for a student to achieve a 2.50 overall UH GPA by the time he or she meets the requirements to file a degree plan.
- Students with below a 2.00 overall UH GPA are limited in their course options.
- Statement of Readiness – A statement must clearly convey awareness of the specific obstacles to academic progress and a clear plan for success.
- All items may be considered in the readmission decision. Individual review is the equivalent of an appeal and represents the final decision of the Bauer College.
Academic Fresh Start
University of Houston undergraduate students may elect to have all academic coursework completed at any institution of higher education 10 or more years prior to the time of application ignored for admission purposes. Once ignored, this coursework cannot be used to satisfy prerequisite or degree requirements at the University of Houston. The Academic Fresh Start Program is open to new and former students.
(for students who are not readmitted)
Students who are denied admission to the Bauer College may consider reapplying to UH as a non-business major for a future term. It is critical to review and evaluate entry requirements into the alternative major prior to initiating the readmission application process again. Generally, students in this situation wishing to continue their studies in business or another related area are best served by considering other universities such as UH-Downtown, UH-Clear Lake or UH-Victoria. Each are separate institutions and may have varied admission requirements; please see their respective websites for more detailed information.
- Business Majors
- Bauer Honors
- Business Minors
- Bauer in D.C. Internship
- Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program
Incoming Transfer Students
Join us for the Transfer Connection event on Aug. 21, 2015.
Questions about ELASP: