Undergraduate Transfer Credit Guide
Students who have taken CORE courses at another Texas public 2- or 4-year institution do not need to petition courses to UH. If the course taken was CORE at a Texas institution it will transfer in as CORE at UH. If they are not coded properly as meeting core at UH on your Transfer evaluation, contact the Office of Transfer Admissions, 122 Welcome Center. Please visit UH Transfer Equivalency Guide for more information.
30 Hour Residency Requirement
Students must complete the last 30 hours of coursework at UH to recieve a degree. Please keep in mind the residency requirements for graduation. Students who transfer courses in their last 30 hours will break residency and are disapproved for graduation. Students taking courses during a mini-semester at a transfer school should assume the course credit will be counted in the semester (fall, spring, or summer) following.
Petition for Course Equivalency
Students transfering to UH Bauer may petition for courses that were not accepted as equivalent. Students with domestic and/or international transfer courses should follow these steps:
- Access the Undergraduate Transfer Credit Petition http://www.uh.edu/academics/forms
- Read Instructions, Complete, and Print the petition
- Must attach your Course Description and Course Syllabus (from the institution where you received credit for the transfer course)
- Attach additional supplemental required documentation (review petition instructions or contact specific UH Colleges/Departments for details)
Business majors take them to the Office of Undergraduate Business Programs, 262 Melcher Hall, regardless of the subject of the course. It will be logged in and reviewed to make sure that it has complete documentation before it is routed to the appropriate department. Once a decision has been made, if approved, one copy of the processed petition will be sent to Transfer Admissions to change it on your transfer record. Whether approved or disapproved, another copy will be emailed to you by the Office of Undergraduate Business Programs. For questions on the status of the petition or if you have not received a reply within four weeks, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Petition for MIS 3300
MIS 3300 is an introduction to computers and management information systems covering MIS concepts, advanced Word features, Access database, and extensive Excel for business decision making.
Students with college credit for an introductory tools and concepts MIS course that did not transfer as MIS 3300 have the option to petition that course to count as MIS 3300. If the petition is denied, students have the option of taking a waiver exam for transfer credit. In order to receive credit for MIS 3300, students with college credit for an introductory tools and concepts MIS course must earn at least 70% on the waiver exam.
Students with significant working knowledge of these applications and concepts, but without college credit for an introductory tools and concepts MIS course may take a waiver exam. In addition to passing the exam with at least 70%, students must take an additional MIS course to fulfill BBA degree requirements.
In order to set up a time to take the exam contact Kathy Cossick.
Petition for Business/Professional Speech
Students with transfer credit of the Texas Common Course Number (TCCN) SPCH 1321 or TCCN SPCH 1315 (which transfers as COMM 1FOS or COMM 1332) will receive credit for the Business and Professional Speech requirement in the college business. SPCH 1321 is the preferred course.
Students who have completed a speech course at another Texas public 2- or 4-year institution other than TCCN SPCH 1321 or 1315 may petition the course if at least 50% of the course content emphasized professional speeches using computer technology. For such courses, please follow the instructions above.
Petition for GENB 4350 and Writing in the Discipline
Because GENB 4350 meets the UH CORE Writing in the Discipline (WID) requirement, students who are petitioning for transfer credit for a course equivalent to GENB 4350 must meet all three of the following conditions:
- Completion of a course (or a combination of courses) covering the following subjects:
- Business ethics; and
- Business law (covering contracts, agency, and business organizations).
- The course(s) requested for equivalency status must be junior level or higher.
- Fulfillment of the Writing in the Discipline requirement by one of the following methods:
- The course (or combination of courses) receiving transfer credit must have had significant writing assignments (typically for GENB 4350, students complete 5 papers, together totaling between 4,000-5,000 words for the course).
- Completion of another course designated by UH as "writing intensive;" or
- Completion of an alternative course that contained a significant (3,000 word) writing component (and that is not already counted toward degree requirements).
Equivalency for FINA 3332 & STAT 3331
- Students that have completed & transferred a similar course (as determined by the Bauer College) with a grade of "C" or better at another institution may request to take an equivalency exam in order to receive credit. If the student’s course is deemed an appropriate equivalent AND the student earns a passing score on the equivalency exam, then the student will be awarded transfer credit for the course with substitution.
- Students can only take each departmental exam once and are not eligible to take the exam if they have attempted or completed the course at UH.
- Students may only request to take one departmental exam (FINA or STAT, not both) per administration.
- Students changing their major to business that have completed a similar statistics course in other colleges at UH (such as ECON 2370, INDE 2333, etc.) are also required to pass the equivalency exam in order to waive the business equivalent with substitution.
You may request to take the exam by using the link to the online request form below. The deadline to submit the online form and all required documentation (course syllabus + Transfer Credit Petition) is 2 business days prior to the exam. A minimum of 24 hours notice is required if you are unable to take the exam as scheduled. Please send an email to email@example.com to cancel your registration. Failure to cancel within these guidelines will forfeit your eligibility to take the exam in the future.
Tuesday, August 18, 2015
9-10 am for FINA exam.
9-12 pm for STAT exam.
The location of the exam will be in one of the rooms in Melcher Hall. Upon approval, an email will be sent to the student informing them of the location of the exam.
60 minutes is allotted for the FINA exam. 3 hours are allotted for the STAT exam.
- No textbooks, notes or other materials may be brought in for use during the exam.
For FINA 3332, it is recommended that students review the material covered in the "Principles of Financial Management" course at the Bauer College. Click here for the course syllabus.
What to Bring
- Calculators that are permitted include TI-30XA, TI-30XIIB, TI-30XIIS
(Devices with texting or internet capability/connectivity are not permitted).
NOTE: IF YOU HAVE A DIFFERENT ONE, MOST LIKELY IT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED
- Picture ID
- Cell phones & PDAs will not be permitted in the examination room.
Transferring International Credit
The Office of International Admissions will process an initial transfer evaluation. Students may petition for transfer credit as outlined above if courses did not automatically transfer to meet degree requirements.
The Department of Accountancy and Taxation does not accept international transfer credit. However, credit for Financial and Managerial Accounting may be received by passing a CLEP exam for ACCT 2331 and credit may be received by passing a departmental exam for ACCT 2332. Students wishing to earn credit for these courses must contact Testing Services for information http://www.las.uh.edu/uts or call (713) 743-5444.
Note: Students who have accounting credit that is 7 years and older will need to retake the specific accounting courses as required by the Accounting Department.
- Business Majors
- Bauer Honors
- Business Minors
- Bauer in D.C. Internship
- Emerging Leaders Academic Success Program
Incoming Transfer Students
Join us for the Transfer Connection event on Aug. 21, 2015.