Shih-chi (Sana) Chiu
Shih-chi (Sana) Chiu is an Assistant Professor of Strategy in the Department of Management & Leadership. She received her Ph.D. in Strategic Management (Minor: Research Methods and Statistics) from the Robert J. Trulaske College of Business at the University of Missouri in Columbia. She earned an M.A. in IT/Communications Management from Michigan State University. Dr. Chiu has received a Certificate in Case Method Teaching and an Executive Business Certificate in Board Governance from Harvard Business School. Dr. Chiu's research focuses on the antecedents, process, and outcomes of corporate restructuring, strategic leadership, and corporate sustainability (i.e., social, environmental, and financial performance). She is interested in the psychological and cognitive factors that influence strategic leaders' decision-making in relation to corporate behaviors and outcomes. Her research has appeared in the Journal of Management, Leadership Quarterly, Journal of Business Ethics, Journal of Applied Psychology, and Journal of Management Studies, among others. She is a member of the Academy of Management and the Strategic Management Society. Dr. Chiu has taught courses at the undergraduate and doctoral levels in strategic management, corporate ethics, and corporate social responsibility in the United States and Asia (Nanyang Business School, NTU-Singapore) for more than a decade. Before entering academics, Dr. Chiu has worked in the IT sector managing enterprise telecommunications (broadband) projects for both US domestic and multinational clients.
Areas of Expertise
- Corporate social responsibility, performance, and sustainability
- Corporate restructuring
- Executive succession and human/social capital
- Board governance
- Psychological/cognitive influence of strategic leaders
- Li, A., Chiu, S., Kong, D., Cropanzano, R., & Ho, CW. (forthcoming) How CEOs Respond to Mortality Salience during the COVID-19 Pandemic: Integrating Terror Management Theory with Regulatory Focus Theory. Journal of Applied Psychology.
- Chiu, S. & Sabz, A. (forthcoming) Can corporate divestiture activities lead to better corporate social performance? Journal of Business Ethics.
- Walls, J., Salaiz, A., & Chiu, S. (forthcoming) Wanted: Heroic leaders to drive the transition to 'business beyond usual.' Strategic Organization
- Chiu S., Pathak, S., Hoskisson, R.E, & Johnson, R. A. (forthcoming) Managerial commitment to the status quo and corporate divestiture: Can power motivate openness to change? The Leadership Quarterly.
- Salaiz, A., Chiu, S-C., & Walls, J. L. (forthcominng) Sustainability agency at the top of the organization: Microfoundations research on corporate sustainability, in Teerikangas, S., Onkila, T., Koistinen, K., & Makela, M. Research Handbook of Sustainability Agency. London: Edward Elgar.
- Pathak, S*. & Chiu, S*. 2020 Firm-advisor ties and financial performance in the context of corporate divestiture. Journal of Business Research, 121: 315-328 (*equal authorship)
- Chiu, S. & Walls, J. 2019. Leadership change and corporate social performance: The context of financial distress makes all the difference. The Leadership Quarterly, 30(5): 1-13
- Chiu, S. & Sharfman, M. 2018. Corporate social irresponsibility and executive succession: An empirical examination. Journal of Business Ethics, 149(3): 707-723.
- Chiu, S., Johnson, R.A., Hoskisson, R., & Pathak, S. 2016. The impact of CEO succession and successor origin on the scale and scope of divestiture. The Leadership Quarterly, 27(4): 617-633. Runner-up for the Best Paper Award at the Leadership Quarterly journal.
- Chiu, S. & Sharfman, M. P. 2011. Legitimacy, visibility, and the antecedents of corporate social performance: An investigation of instrumental perspective. Journal of Management, 37 (6): 1558-1585. Best paper Award by International Association for Business and Society (IABS).
- Chiu, S., Fan, W., & Chong, Y. 2013. Entrepreneurship in China's private sector: Guangxi's Elite Optical. Harvard Business Review Case Collection (English). Asian Business Case Centre (Chinese).
- Johnson, R. A., Schnatterly, K., Johnson, S. & Chiu, S. 2010. Institutional investors and institutional environments: A comparative analysis. Journal of Management Studies, 47(2) 1590-1613.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Academy of Management
- Strategic Management Society
- MH 325G
- No Web Site Currently
PhD. - University of Missouri-Columbia. Major in Strategic Management, Minor in Research Methods and Statistics
M.A.-Michigan State University. Major in IT/Communications Management
Harvard Business School - Corporate Board Governance