Vanessa M. Patrick-Ralhan
Professor - Associate Dean of Research & Bauer Professor of Marketing
Dr. Vanessa Patrick is a Bauer Professor of Marketing, Lead Faculty for the Bauer Executive Women in Leadership Program and Fulbright Specialist for 2019-2024. She has a PhD in Business from the University of Southern California, Los Angeles, an MBA in Marketing and a BS degree in Microbiology and Biochemistry from Bombay University in India. Her research deals primarily with the psychology that underlies the two sides of the pleasure coin. On one hand she studies the pursuit of pleasure in her work dealing with art and aesthetics, hedonics and luxury branding. On the other hand, she investigates strategies by which individuals can successfully manage the pull of pleasure in her work on self-control and the interplay of affect and control. Her research has appeared in the Journal of Consumer Research, Journal of Marketing Research,Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, Journal of Consumer Psychology, Journal of Retailing, Organizational Behavior and Human Development Processes and numerous other academic journals. In 2012, Dr. Vanessa Patrick was named one of the top 50 most productive marketing scholars worldwide by the DocSig of the American Marketing Association. She is a MSI Young Scholar designated by the Marketing Science Institute, is the winner of the 2008 Davidson Honorable Mention Award for the Best article in Journal of Retailing 2006 (Volume 82), and was awarded a best paper of the Overall Conference and Best paper for the Consumer Behavior Track at the American Marketing Association Summer Educators Conference (2007). Among the many awards she has received are the Outstanding Marketing Teacher at the University of Georgia, the University of Georgia's Top 10 Professors award, and, the LeRoy and Lucille Melcher Faculty Excellence in Research (2011), Service (2016) and Teaching (2018) Awards by the Bauer College of Business. She has edited a special issue on Aesthetics for the Journal of Consumer Psychology (2010) and on the Transformative Potential of Everyday Aesthetics for the Journal of the Association of Consumer Research (2019) . She is on the editorial review board for the Journal of Consumer Research, the Journal of Marketing Research and the Journal of Marketing and is an Associate Editor for the Journal of Retailing and the Journal of Consumer Psychology. Dr. Patrick has been a columnist for the international news outlet Hindustan Times (circulation 1.2 million). She has been featured on ABC News and NPR as an expert in the area of self-control. In addition her research has been widely featured in major news outlets like the LA Times, Forbes, Huffington Post, the Wall Street Journal, the New York Times, Scientific American and Yahoo! News. Prior to her academic career, Vanessa Patrick worked in advertising and brand consultancy for multinational agencies like Ogilvy and Mather and J. Walter Thompson whose clients include DeBeers Consolidated Mines, Kimberly-Clark, Unilever, L'oreal and Bacardi. She has also worked as a consultant to companies like the Coca-Cola Company, CNN and Hallmark. Her first book "The Power of Saying No: The New Science of How to Say No that Puts you in Charge of Your Life" (Publisher: Sourcebooks) will hit the shelves on June 1, 2023.
- Art and Aesthetics
- Compassionate Self control
- Luxury Brand Strategy
- Product Design
- Refusal Strategies
Areas of Expertise
- Consumer Behavior
- Aesthetics and Design
- Luxury Brand Strategy
- Empowered Refusal Strategies
- Self-nudges and Personal Productivity
- Ebrahimi, Mahdi, Maryam Kouchaki and Vanessa M. Patrick (2019), "Juggling Work and Home Selves: Low Identity Integration Feels Less Authentic and Increases Unethicality," forthcoming in Organizational Behavior and Human Decision Processes.
- Koo, Mingkyung, Hyewon Oh and Vanessa M. Patrick (2019), "From Oldie to Goldie: Humanizing Old Produce Enhances its Appeal," forthcoming in Journal of the Association of Consumer Research.
- Tawse, Alex, Vanessa M. Patrick and Dusya Vera (2019), "Crossing the Chasm: Leadership nudges to help transition from strategy formulation to strategy implementation," Business Horizons, 62(2) 249-57.
- Zhang, Zhe and Vanessa M. Patrick (2018), "Call me Rollie! The Role of Brand Nicknames in shaping Consumer-Brand Relationships," Journal of the Association of Consumer Research.
- Wang, Tingting, Anirban Mukhopadhyay and Vanessa M. Patrick (2017), "Getting Consumers to Recycle NOW!: Positive Effects of Cuteness in Prosocial Behavior," Journal of Public Policy and Marketing.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Yashar Atefi and Henrik Hagtvedt (2016), "The Allure of the Hidden: How Product Unveiling confers Value," International Journal of Research in Marketing.
- Mead, Nicole L., Vanessa M. Patrick, Manissa Gunadi and Wilhelm Hoffmann (2016), "Simple Pleasures, Small Annoyances, and Goal Progress in Daily Life," Journal of the Association of Consumer Research, 1(4), 527-39.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. (2016), "Everyday Consumer Aesthetics," Current Opinion in Psychology, Issue 10, 60-64.
- Nicole Mead and Vanessa M. Patrick (2016),"The Taming of Desire: How Postponing Pleasures can Facilitate Self-Control" Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 110 (1), 20-35.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2016), "Gilt versus Guilt: Should Luxury and Charity Partner at the Point of Sale?," Journal of Retailing 92 (1), 56-64.
- Hollenbeck, Candice and Vanessa M. Patrick (2016), "Mastering Survivorship: How Brands Facilitate the Transformation to Heroic Survivor," forthcoming in the Journal of Business Research 61(1), 73-82.
- Meert Katrien, Mario Pandelaere and Vanessa M. Patrick (2014), "Taking a Shine to It: How the Preference for Glossy stems from an innate need for water," Journal of Consumer Psychology , 24(2), 195-206.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2014), "Consumer Response to Overstyling: Balancing Aesthetics and Functionality in Product Design," Psychology and Marketing, 31(7), 518-525.
- Labrecque, Lauren I., Vanessa M. Patrick and George R. Milne (2013), "The Marketers' Prismatic Palette: A Review of Color Research and Future Directions," Psychology and Marketing, 30(2), 187-202.
- Cheema, Amar and Vanessa M. Patrick (2012), "Influence of Warm versus Cool Temperatures on Consumer Choice: A Resource Depletion Account," Journal of Marketing Research, Vol. 49(6), 984-995.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Henrik Hagtvedt (2012), "How to Say "No": Conviction and Identity Attributions in Persuasive Refusal," International Journal of Research in Marketing, 29, 390-394.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Henrik Hagtvedt (2012), ""Don't" versus "Can't": Refusal Strategies for Psychological Empowerment," Journal of Consumer Research, Vol. 39, No. 2 (August), pp. 371-381.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and Henrik Hagtvedt (2011), "Aesthetic Incongruity Resolution," Journal of Marketing Research, 48(2), 393-402.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2011), "Turning Art into Mere Illustration: Concretizing Art Renders Its Influence Context Dependent," Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin, 37 (12), 1624-32.
- Lacey, Simon, Henrik Hagtvedt, Vanessa M. Patrick, Amy Anderson, Randall Stilla, Gopikrishna Deshpande, Xiaoping Hu, Joao R. Sato, Srinivas Reddy, and Krish Sathian (2011), "Art for Reward's Sake: Visual Art activates the Human Ventral Straitum," NeuroImage, 55(1), 420-433.
- Fedorikhin, Alexander and Vanessa M. Patrick (2010), "Positive Mood and Resistance to Temptation: The Interfering Influence of Elevated Arousal," Journal of Consumer Research, 37(4), 698-711.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2009), "The Broad Embrace of Luxury: Hedonic Potential as a Driver of Brand Extendibility," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19, 608-618.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Hae Eun Chun and Deborah J. MacInnis (2009), "Affective Forecasting and Self-Control: When Anticipating Pride wins over Anticipating Shame in a Self-regulation context," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19(3), 537-45.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Matthew Lancellotti and Gustavo De Mello (2009), "Coping with Non-Purchase: Managing the Stress of Inaction Regret" Journal of Consumer Psychology, 19(3), 463-72.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Matthew Lancellotti and Henrik Hagtvedt (2009), "Getting a Second Chance: The Role of Imagery in the Influence of Inaction Regret on Behavioral Intent," Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 37 (2) 181-190.
- Labroo, Aparna and Vanessa M. Patrick (2009), "Psychological Distancing: Why Happiness Helps You See the Big Picture," Journal of Consumer Research, 35 (February), 800-809.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2008), "Art and the Brand: The Role of Visual Art in Enhancing Brand Extendibility," Journal of Consumer Psychology, 18(July), 212-222.
- Cheema, Amar and Vanessa M. Patrick (2008), "Anytime versus Only: Mindsets Moderate the Effect of Expansive versus Restrictive Frames on Promotion Evaluation," Journal of Marketing Research, 45 (August), 462-472.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik, Reidar Hagtvedt, and Vanessa M. Patrick (2008), "The Perception and Evaluation of Visual Art," Empirical Studies of the Arts, 26 (2), 197-218.
- Hagtvedt, Henrik and Vanessa M. Patrick (2008), "Art Infusion: The Influence of Visual Art on the Perception and Evaluation of Consumer Products," Journal of Marketing Research, 45 (June), 379-89.
- Patrick, Vanessa M., Deborah J. MacInnis and C. Whan Park (2007), "Not as Happy as I Thought I'd Be: Affective Misforecasting and Product Evaluations," Journal of Consumer Research, 33 (4), 479-490.
- MacInnis, Deborah J. and Vanessa M. Patrick (2006), "A Spotlight on Affect: The Role of Affect and Affective Forecasting in Self-Regulation and Impulse Control," Journal of Consumer Psychology, Vol 16 (3), 224-231.
- Patrick, Vanessa M. and C. Whan Park (2006), "Paying before Consuming: Examining the robustness of consumers' preference for prepayment," Journal of Retailing, 82 (3) 165-175.
- MacInnis, Deborah J., Gustavo de Mello and Vanessa M. Patrick (2004), "Consumer Hopefulness: Construct, Relevance to Internet Marketing, Antecedents and Consequences," Int. J. Internet Marketing and Advertising, 1 (2), 174-195.
- Folkes, Valerie S. and Vanessa M. Patrick (2003), "The Positivity Effect in Perceptions of Services: Seen One, Seen Them All?" Journal of Consumer Research, 30 (1), 125-137.
Academic Associations & Editorial Boards
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Marketing Research
- Associate Editor for the Journal of Marketing
- MH 385J
- Visit Web Site
PhD, Marketing, U. of Southern California
MBA, Marketing, Bombay University
BSc., Microbiology & Biochemistry, St. Xavier's College (Bombay)