Professor - C.T. Bauer Professor of Leadership and Management
Leanne Atwater joined the University of Houston in July 2008. Dr. Atwater earned her bachelor's and Master's degrees from San Diego State University and worked as a personnel research psychologist for the Navy Personnel Research and Development Center. She completed her Ph.D. in social/organizational psychology at Claremont Graduate School in 1985.
She does research in the areas of leadership, self-perception, and gender. She has published over 60 papers in highly respected journals. She is the former editor of The Leadership Quarterly. She teaches leadership and management to graduate and undergraduate students. She also teaches Executive Education for the Bauer College
Areas of Expertise
- Taylor, S., Sturm, R., Atwater, L., & Braddy, P. (in press). Underestimating one's leadership impact: Are women leaders more susceptible. Organizational Dynamics.
- Atwater, L., Kim, Y., Witt, A., Collison, K., Latheef, Z., Longacre, T., & Zheng, D. Reactions to Abusive Supervision: Examining the Roles of Emotions and Gender (in press). International Journal of Human Resources Management).
- Day, D., Fleenor, J., Atwater, L., Sturm, R., & McKee, R. (2014). Advances in leaders and leadership development: A review of 25 years of research and theory. The Leadership Quarterly, 25, 63-82.
- Sturm, R., Taylor, S., Atwater, L., & Braddy, P. (2014). Leader Self-awareness: An examination and implications of women's under-prediction. Journal of Organizational Behavior, 35, 657-677. doi: 10.1002/job.1915.
- Braddy, P., Sturm, R., Atwater, L., Smither, J., & Fleenor, J. (2013). Validating the feedback orientation scale in a leadership development context. Group and Organization Management, 38, 6, 690-716.
- Carmeli, A., Atwater, L., Levi, A. (2011) How leadership enhances employee's knowledge sharing at work: The intervening roles of relational and organizational identification. Journal of Technology Transfer, 36, 257-274.
- Fleenor, J., Smither, J., Atwater, L., Braddy, P., & Sturm, R. (2010). Self-other rating agreement in leadership: A review. (Invited) Leadership Quarterly Yearly Review, 21, 1005-1034.
- Perry, S., Witt, A., Penny, L., & Atwater, L. (2010) The downside of goal-focused leadership: Exploring the exhaustion effect among unmotivated workers. Journal of Applied Psychology, 95, 1145-1153
- Fleenor, J., Smither, J., Atwater, L., Braddy, P., & Sturm, R. (2010). Self-other rating agreement in leadership: A review. (Invited) Leadership Quarterly Yearly Review.
- Walker, A., Smither, J., Atwater, L., Domminick, P., Brett, J., & Reilly, R. (2010). Personality and multisource feedback improvement: A longitudinal investigation. Journal of Behavioral and Applied Management, 175-204. (Best Paper Award).
- Atwater, L., Wang, M., Smither, J., & Fleenor, J. (2009). Are cultural characteristics associated with the relationship between self and others' ratings of leadership? Journal of Applied Psychology, 94, 4, 876-886.
- Atwater, L., & Carmeli, A. (2009). Leader-member exchange, feelings of energy and involvement in creative work. Leadership Quarterly.20.264-275.
- Smither, J., Brett, J., & Atwater, L. (in press). What do leaders recall about multi-source feedback? Journal of Leadership and Organization Studies.
- Atwater, L., Brett, J., & Charles, A. (2007). The delivery of workplace discipline: Lessons learned. Organizational Dynamics, 36, 4, 392-403.
- Atwater, L., Brett, J., & Charles, A. (2007). Multi-source feedback: Lessons learned, and implications for practice. Human Resource Management Journal, 46, 285-307.
- Atwater, L., & Brett, J. (2006). Feedback format: Does it influence managers' reactions to feedback? Journal of Organizational and Occupational Psychology, 79, 517-532.
- Atwater, L., & Brett, J. (2006). 360 degree feedback to managers: Does it result in changes in employee attitudes? Group and Organization Management, 31, 5, 578-600.
- Bolea, A., & Atwater, L. (2015). Applied Leadership Development. Taylor & Francis; Routledge
- Atwater, L., & Waldman, D. (2008). Leadership, Feedback and the Open Communication Gap. LEA.
- Waldman, D. & Atwater, L. (1998). The Power of 360 Degree Feedback. Gulf Publishing.
- Atwater, L., & Penn, R. (Eds.). (1989). Military Leadership: Traditions and Future Trends. Annapolis, MD: Action Printing.
- MH 315H
- No Web Site Currently
B.A. - San Diego State University - Psychology
M.A. - San Diego State University - Psychology
Ph.D. - Claremont Graduate School - Social/Organizational Psychology