Battle of the Classes
Compete against your fellow Coogs in the 4th Annual Battle of the Classes Spring 2023 competition. Battle of the Classes is open to all UH students and is especially encouraged for students who have worked on a startup idea in an entrepreneurship or senior design class.
Watch the pre-recorded lectures to learn how to pitch and then submit an application with a pre-recorded version of your pitch. The top ideas from each college will be invited to pitch live in the semifinals and finals. The best pitches in the finals will win an award to continue working on their idea.
- Friday, January 13: Applications Open
- Students can begin submitting applications with their pre recorded pitches. Top pitches from each college will be invited to pitch at the semi-final round.
- Friday, January 13: Instructional Videos Released
- All participants are required to watch instructional videos. They will include information on how to pitch and explain important elements necessary to building a pitch.
- Watch the first video here!
- Sunday, March 19: Applications Close
- Applications will close and the top pitches from each college will be invited to pitch live in the semi-final round.
- Friday, March 24: Semi-Final Round
- Top pitches from each college will be invited to give their pitches live to a panel of judges.
- Thursday, March 30: Final Round
- The top pitches from the semi-final round will continue on to the final round of pitches for the chance to win a cash prize for their business idea.
Students will be allowed four minutes to pitch their idea. And cover the following topics:
- The solution they are proposing
- Their customer for the proposed solution
- What value the customer will receive from the solution (ie time saving or cost savings)
- A marketing strategy and how they plan to reach their target customers
- Their next steps
Slides are encouraged but should be used sparingly. Six or seven should be enough to cover all the required material.
The idea must be the students(s) own idea, meaning it was not developed with the help of a professor.
Pitch Judging Criteria
The judges will judge the pitches on 3 different criteria:
- The market potential of your startup idea
- Is there a need for this business, do you have evidence that this is what your customers want, how big of a problem is this, is there a large enough market to sustain the business idea).
- Preparedness for next steps
- Can you actually take the next steps to launch and are your next steps feasible?
- Quality of the pitch and preparation of the team
- It’s clear you have written a script and rehearsed the pitch, your slides are clear and coherent
Check out these books to learn some of the entrepreneurial basics:
- Talking to Humans
- 24 Steps Disciplined Entrepreneurship
- Lean Startup
- The Right It
- Traction, How to Achieve Explosive Customer Growth