How to Apply
Admission eligibility for the Master of Science in Accountancy Program (MSACCY) requires a four-year undergraduate degree (or foreign equivalent) from an accredited institution.
All required documents, application fee, and test scores must be received by the deadline date. Upon acceptance, new students are required to complete several steps prior to the start of their first term. For more information, see the What to Expect After Acceptance section.
For any inquiries regarding the application process, please contact the MSACCY admissions team at email@example.com.
There are specific prerequisite courses that must be completed to be considered for admission.
1. Fill out the online application
- Click the "Apply Now" button above.
- Pay the application fee — $50 for domestic students and $80 for international students. Application fees are waived for veterans.
2. Send in all required documents
- Follow the directions on this page under the section "Requirements."
- You'll need official transcripts, letters of recommendation, a goal statement, GMAT/GRE scores, a résumé and international students will need other documents, too.
3. Follow your application status
- You will receive a welcome email 24-48 hours after applying.
- If notified of missing items, submit promptly.
- Expect an update on your status 2-3 weeks after applying. Interviews are by invitation only.
Deadlines & Addresses
MSACCY Admission Deadlines
Semester Domestic Applicant International Applicant Spring Session December 1st October 1st Summer Session April 15th February 15th Fall Session July 1 May 1st
In-Person Delivery Advising Office Physical Address University of Houston
4400 University Drive
Houston, TX 77004
University of Houston
5000 Gulf Freeway
UH Technology Bridge
Building No. 3, Rm. 170
Houston, TX 77204-2105
Professional Accounting Programs Office
CBB, Suite 304
4242 Martin Luther King Boulevard
Houston, TX 77204-6021
A complete application must be received by the date indicated above and include all of the following items:
1. Application for Graduate Studies
Submit an application through the application portal. A non-refundable fee is required for all Specialized Masters programs in order to submit an application through the online system. The fee is $50 for Domestic applicants and $80 for International applicants. All payments are made through the Applyweb application system.
Applicants must have earned a bachelor’s degree from an institution accredited by one of the six regional accrediting associations. Transcripts from each higher-educational institution attended must be submitted. Official hard copy United States transcripts must be submitted in a sealed envelope from the issuing higher-education institution to the regular mail or express mail address listed above.
Electronic or “Speede” Transcript: Within the state of Texas, the fastest way to send your official transcript is electronically. Please inquire at your previous institution about this option. Official electronic transcripts can be delivered via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If UH main campus has your most up-to-date official transcripts from all other institutions attended, the transcripts do not have to be resubmitted.
In addition, current or former UH-main-campus students do not have to submit UH-main-campus transcripts.
3. Test Scores
An official Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) or General Record Examination (GRE) score, that is less than five years old, is required for admission. Scores must be valid at the time of application submission.
Please use the following school codes:
Some UH main campus graduates may qualify to have GMAT/GRE requirement waived.
Additionally, GMAT/GRE scores may be waived for applicants who hold a terminal doctoral degree, including MD, JD, or PhD, from UH main campus or any other regionally-accredited domestic institution. For more information, please visit the UH Graduate Catalog.
GMAT/GRE waivers are available (subject to review and approval by admissions committee). For more information, email: email@example.com.
4. Résumé or Curriculum Vitae
Applicants can upload a copy of their most recent résumé or curriculum vitae highlighting professional and academic experiences, as well as recognizable accomplishments via the application portal.
5. Goal Statement
A goal statement should be one to two pages in length. The statement should address what motivates you, how your personal and professional experiences have shaped you, any specific area of interest within accounting (if applicable), how the MSACCY degree fits into career aspirations and any additional information that might be useful to the admission committee.
Applicants can upload their goal statement via the application portal.
6. Letters of Recommendation
Two letters of recommendation should be completed by professors, employers, or professionals having direct knowledge of the applicant. Applicants will be required to enter an email address for their recommenders which will allow an online form to automatically be sent to the recommender.
Applicants may track the status of recommendation letters via the "Manage your recommenders" section of the application portal. For more information, see FAQ.
An applicant is considered international if they are not a U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident. Additional transcript, proof of English language proficiency and visa requirements may need to be met. See the links below for more information about the additional documents that may be required for international applicants. Please follow the links below for more information.
Guidelines for Transcript Information – All graduate students are required to provide proof of the attainment of a Bachelor's degree before enrolling at the University of Houston. Credential Evaluations are completed in house at the Graduate School, and outside evaluations will not be accepted.
F-1 Visa Information – These documents are not required until AFTER you are offered admission.
English Language Proficiency Requirements - All graduate applicants, regardless of citizenship status, must demonstrate proficiency in English to obtain admission to the university. Please visit the UH Graduate School’s English Language Proficiency Requirements webpage for more information about this requirement and minimum exam required scores.
*Please be advised that Bauer College of Business does not currently waive the English language requirement based on completion of UH Language and Culture Center Level 6 for graduate programs. Our college-level requirements may differ from other University of Houston graduate programs.
NOTE: International students must have a four-year degree from an accredited university to apply for a graduate degree at UH main campus. Three-year degrees are not considered equivalent. Students with a three–year degree will likely need to complete the equivalent of a four-year degree before being eligible for admission to a graduate program at UH main campus.
What to Expect After You Have Applied
Once you have submitted your application, you will begin receiving correspondence from our Admissions Team.
- You should receive a welcome email from our Admissions Team within a week after submission.
- If you are missing items, you will be notified via email on a weekly basis.
- You may login at any time to your online application and check your application status under the View Checklist tab.
- Upon submission of all required application documentation, you should receive an update on your status within two to three weeks.
- Official decisions are sent electronically through the online application system.
Stay in contact with us — did you recently receive a promotion, receive new test scores or have any other significant updates that you'd like for us to consider with your application? Let us know by contacting our admissions team.
Steps After Admission
- Login to Applyweb and accept or decline the offer of admission. All applicants have two weeks after receiving their letter to accept our offer and reserve their seat in our class.
- New MSACCY students are required to attend a program specific orientation prior to the start of their first term. During this orientation, students will have the opportunity to learn about the UH Graduate Catalog Policies, Rockwell Career Center, becoming CPA eligible, scholarships, financial aid, etc.
- In addition to orientation, each new student must meet with their MSACCY Advisor for a one-on-one advising session. These sessions are typically 45 minutes in length and can be conducted in-person or remotely.
- Due to the importance and prevalence of Microsoft Excel, we’ve teamed with Cengage to design a series of online Microsoft Excel courses. The online course is called Skills Assessment Manager (SAM). Each newly admitted MSACCY student is required to complete all assigned Excel 2019 projects in SAM prior to the start of their first semester.
- Before enrolling in courses, all new graduate students must submit proof of a completed Bachelor’s degree. If an applicant does not submit the necessary documents to post their degree in our system as part of their application package, they will not be able to enroll in classes until the required document(s) are received.
New MSACCY students have the unique opportunity to be paired with a faculty mentor or program alumnus during their first semester in the program through the MSACCY Mentor Program.