Bauer faculty, if you would like to update your Faculty Achievements, please contact us with the information.
Accountancy & Taxation
- Clinical Assistant Professor Jim Stinson received two awards — a 2012 Advising Excellence Award from Bauer College and a 2012 Significant Contribution by a Member in Education Award from the Houston Society of CPAs.
- Associate Professor Emre Kilic received 2012 teaching awards from both Bauer College and the Department of Accountancy & Taxation.
- Associate Professor Jan Meade became the Faculty Director for Advising and received 2012 service awards from both Bauer College and the Department of Accountancy & Taxation.
- Professor Gerald Lobo had seven papers published in top academic accounting research journals.
- Professor Saleha Khumawala continued to build microfinance initiatives at Bauer College, with a team of students from the college’s MicroFinance Initiative traveling to Washington, D.C., to present at the Clinton Global Initiative University.
Decision & Information Sciences
- Associate Dean of Graduate & Professional Programs Leiser Silva was awarded the "Best paper in track" award by ICIS 2020.
- Decision & Information Sciences Professor Kevin Hong was named Distinguished Member of AIS (Association for Information Systems).
- Decision & Information Sciences Associate Professor and Bauer Fellow Nina Huang was named Associate Editor for MIS Quarterly from Jan 1, 2021
- Decision & Information Sciences Associate Professor and Bauer Fellow Nina Huang received the Association for Information Systems (AIS) Early Career Award.
- Kevin (Yili) Hong and Nina Huang were given the Best Track Paper Award (Artificial Intelligence Track) as well as the Overall Best Conference Paper First Runner-up Award at the International Conference on Information Systems.
- Decision & Information Sciences Assistant Professor Xiao Ma received the Best Associate Editor Award at the ICIS 2020 Conference for “Human Behaviors, User Engagement, and Consequences Track.”
- Associate Professor David Peng received a Journal of Operations Management Associate Editor Service Award (2010-2015) that recognizes an associate editor who provided outstanding services to the journal for the five-year period between 2010 and 2015. The publication is the most highly referenced journal in the field.
- The University of Houston Hobby Center for Public Policy (HCPP) White Paper Series has released research co-authored by Associate Professor Elizabeth Anderson-Fletcher, Associate Professor Dusya Vera and Spec's Charitable Foundation Professor JeAnna Abbott titled "The Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Ebola Crisis: A Perfect Storm of Human Errors, System Failures and Lack of Mindfulness." Anderson-Fletcher also wrote an article for the Houston Chronicle that focuses on the supply chain implications of the current Zika virus crisis.
- The Journal of the Association for Information Systems has recognized a paper co-authored by Bauer professors as the best paper it published in 2014. "The Historical Method and Information Systems Research" by Jaana Porra, Rudy Hirschheim and Michael S. Parks was published in the journal's Vol. 15, Issue 9.
- Faculty members from the department have taken a strong leadership position within the Decision Sciences Institute, the premier society for the development and advancement of the discipline, with approximately 2,000 members internationally. Professor Powell Robinson is president of the Institute for 2012-2013 and was the keynote speaker for the 2012 annual meeting in Istanbul, Turkey. Associate Professor Funda Sahin is the program chair for the 2013 annual meeting, expected to draw 1,000 paper submissions and 1,400 members. Sahin previously served as vice president of the Institute.
- Professor Wynne Chin brought the 7th International Conference on Partial Least Squares and Related Methods to North America for the first time in May 2012, serving as co-chair. In August of the same year, he gave an invited talk on research methodology to the Ph.D. Project for Minority Business Doctoral Students. He also has served as a guest senior editor for MIS Quarterly and the Journal of the AIS, and was the research methods track chair for the Americas Conference on Information Systems, 2012. In addition, Chin was recently appointed to the board of the Asian Pacific Americans in Higher Education, an organization that focuses on issues involving faculty and students of Asian ancestry in higher education.
- Faculty from the department lead academic research in their respective fields, with Associate Professor Jaana Porra serving as an associate editor for the Journal of the Association for Information Systems, Associate Professor Norman Johnson as associate editor of both the Decisions Science Journal and the European Journal of Information Systems, and Associate Professor Leiser Silva as senior editor for a special issue of the Information Systems Journal on IT in developing countries.
- Associate Professor Norman Johnson has also been ranked in the top 50 most successful researchers for his output of articles published in MIS Quarterly between 2007 and 2011.
- Assistant Professor Arunachalam Narayanan will serve as the 2012 Annual Meeting Program Chair of the Supply Chain Management Educators Conference for the Council of Supply Chain Management Professionals, the leading practitioner-academic society for SCM professionals. In 2012, Narayanan served as proceedings editor for the conference and a member of the organization’s educational strategies committee in 2012-2013.
- Assistant Professor David Peng received the 2011 Best Paper Reviewer Award from the Journal of Operations Management.
- Faculty from the department worked with student teams to prepare them for national and international competitions. Clinical Assistant Professor Gordon Smith coached MBA students Azhar Mohammed and Krithika Krishnan to win first place in the 2012 Graduate Student Chuck Nelson Student Paper Contest, while Clinical Assistant Professor Michael Murray worked with an MBA student team that placed second in the U.S. and fifth overall in the Annual ERPsim International Competition sponsored by HEC Montreal.
- A paper by Assistant Professor Hitesh Doshi, Professor Kris Jacobs and Professor Stuart Turnbull (with Jan Ericsson of McGill University), “On Pricing Credit Default Swaps with Observable Covariates,” received the best paper award in May 2012 at a conference organized by HEC Montreal in association with IFM2.
- Department Chair Praveen Kumar was named the co-editor-in-chief of Corporate Governance: An International Review, beginning in January 2013. In addition, Kumar spoke at the Great Lakes Global Thought Leadership Series on “Strategies for Superior Performance in the Oil & Gas Industry in the 21st Century,” in New Delhi, India, in August 2012.
- Professor Craig Pirrong was named to the Chicago Federal Reserve Bank’s Working Group on Financial Markets in 2011.
Marketing & Entrepreneurship
- Johannes Habel was recognized by the Journal of Service Research and the Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science for his research on the “frontline in crisis”.
- Marketing doctoral alum Irene Nahm (now on the faculty at University of Minnesota) received an Honorable Mention for the 2021 John A. Howard/American Marketing Association Doctoral Dissertation Award for her dissertation titled “New Frontiers in Selling: Essays Examining Sales Force Effectiveness in a Changing Environment.”
- Professor Steve Brown was named Co-Editor for Journal of Retailing. Brown also serves on the editorial boards for Journal of Marketing, Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, and Journal of Services Research.
- Professor Michael Ahearne was named Area Editor for Journal of Marketing. Ahearne also serves on the editorial boards for Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, International Journal of Research in Marketing, and Journal of Personal Selling and Sales Management.
- Professor Vanessa Patrick was reappointed to the Editorial Review Board for Journal of Consumer Research. Patrick also serves on the editorial board for Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- Professor Ed Blair was named to the Journal of Consumer Research Policy Board. Blair also serves on the editorial board for Journal of Business Research.
- Professor Partha Krishnamurthy was reappointed to the Editorial Board for Journal of Consumer Psychology.
- Professor Sam Hui received the 2013 MSI/H. Paul Root Award given by members of the Journal of Marketing editorial review board to a paper that has made a significant contribution to the advancement of the practice of marketing. This award is cosponsored by the American Marketing Association (AMA) and Marketing Science Institute (MSI).
- Professor Sam Hui received the 2014 AMA Retail and Pricing Special Interest Group Young Scholar Award. Hui previously was named an MSI Young Scholar in 2013.
- Professors Rex Du, Ye Hu and doctoral student Sina Damangir received the best paper award at the 2014 AMA Advanced Research Techniques Forum. Du previously received this award in 2011.
- Professor Joel LeBon received the best paper award at the 2014 Global Sales Science Institute conference.
- Department chair Professor Leanne Atwater presented the 4th Annual Bass Distinguished Scholar Lecture at Binghamton University, “Leader-follower relationships: The good, the bad and the ugly.”
- Clinical Assistant Professor Barb Carlin was awarded the University of Houston Teaching Award in Spring 2012.
- Professor Laura Cardinal was a plenary speaker at the 2nd Empirical Research in Management Accounting & Control Conference at Vienna University of Economics and Business: “A management perspective on organizational control.“ Cardinal was also recognized with an outstanding reviewer award from the Strategic Management Journal at the Strategic Management Society Meetings.
- Professor Chet Miller was awarded the 2012 Academy of Management Review Best Paper Award for the article, “The paradox of stretch goals: Pursuit of the seeming impossible in organizations.” He was also a plenary speaker at the 2nd Empirical Research in Management Accounting & Control Conference at Vienna University of Economics and Business: “The paradox of stretch goals: Organizations in pursuit of the seemingly impossible.” In addition, Miller was recognized with an outstanding reviewer award by the Academy of Management Journal at the Academy of Management Meetings and with an outstanding reviewer award by the Managerial and Organizational Cognition Division of the Academy of Management in 2011.