The Cougar Investment Fund
About our investment fund
The Cougar Investment Fund is a multi-million-dollar private investment fund of equity securities that are traded on U.S. markets. The Fund is managed by Bauer MBA and MS Finance students participating in the Graduate Certificate in Financial Services Management.
Students manage the Fund using in-depth fundamental analysis of individual companies. Each security considered for the Cougar Investment Fund portfolio is required to undergo a thorough examination of its investment merits based on state-of-the-art financial valuation techniques.
Students who manage the Fund experience a real-world apprenticeship in fund management through which they absorb a deep knowledge of rigorous financial valuation skills. The skills acquired in the Fund are the basis for successful careers in many areas of Finance including fund management, consulting, corporate finance, risk management, banking, real estate, and financial management in the public and non-profit sectors.
Of approximately 6,000 university-based student-run investment funds in the U.S., the Cougar Investment Fund is one of a small number that invests on behalf of individual investors rather than university endowment funds. Accordingly, our students experience the real pressures of managing other people’s money.
The Cougar Investment Fund exemplifies Bauer’s innovative and unique approach to business education, and our commitment to preparing students for successful careers in the most demanding areas of business and Finance.
The Cougar Investment Fund is housed in the AIM Center for Investment Management. The Center provides students access to state-of-the-art financial information technology, data streamed in real time and collected locally, and Bauer College proprietary analysis and valuation software. The integration of these resources in a technically sophisticated work environment facilitates the student managers' extensive due diligence research and provides them with an unparalleled experience in bringing financial and business concepts to real-world investment decision making.
Cougar Investment Fund News
- Spring 2015 - Inside Bauer Magazine: MBA Student Organization Forms Strong Alliance of Female Professionals (PDF)
- October 2014 - Video: Cougar Investment Fund hosts Jack and Jill of America group
- October 2014 - Bauer Cougar Investment Fund Group Shows Young Students in Family Organization the Financial Ropes
- Spring 2014 - Inside Bauer Magazine: Two brothers find Bauer's Cougar Investment Fund instrumental in professional advancement (PDF)
- Spring 2014 - Inside Bauer Magazine: Cougar Investment Fund Reaches Million Dollar Milestone (PDF)
- March 2014 - CIF Student Spotlight: Yuvarani Loganathan
- February 2014 - Cougar Investment Fund earns more than $1 million in fourth quarter
- January 2013 - Being All You Can Be
- June 2012 - Two Bauer Students Recognized with CFA Society Scholarships
- July 2011 - Legendary Cougar Investment Fund Team Still Making News
- April 2011 - Cougar Investment Fund Students Among Best in Region
- September 2010 - CFA Society Toasts Cougar Investment Fund Team
- June 2010 - Cougar Investment Fund Gave Alumni Tools to Excel in Investment
- May 2010 - Top Faculty on Campus Found at Bauer College
- March 2010 - Successful Alums in NYC Host Bauer Team Vying in CFA Finals
- February 2010 - UH Bauer Team Advances to NY
- December 2009 - Pres. Khator Celebrates Fall 2009 Graduates
- May 2009 - UH Bauer Commencement Honors Outstanding Graduate Students
- June 2008 - A Champion’s Salute
- April 2008 - Bauer Team Claims National Victory
- April 2008 - Bauer Team Tops Texas Schools
- June 2007 - Bauer College Cougar Investment Fund Sets Record For New Investors