When you arrive in Houston

International students cannot register for classes without checking in with a representative of the International Student and Scholar Services Office (ISSSO). Please carry the following proof of legal visa status, including passport, visa, I-94 card, all I-20 forms (F visa holders), all DS-2019 forms (J visa holders) and I-797 Approval Notice, if applicable.

Check-in Dates are posted on the ISSSO website.

Additional check-in dates will be announced during the summer.

For questions, please contact Jin Zhang, Director of ISSSO at jinzhang@uh.edu or call ISSSO at (713) 743-5065.

Resources for International Students

The University of Houston has a very vibrant international student community. The Office of International Student and Scholar Services has several useful resources for international students. Please review these essential resources to ease your transition into the United States.

How do I demonstrate English Proficiency?

Note: Students who have completed a baccalaureate at a regionally accredited U.S. institution are considered to have demonstrated English Proficiency and are not required to take an English proficiency exam.

  • First-year Instructional Assistants from a non-native English-speaking country are required to demonstrate proficiency in spoken English by successfully passing the SPEAK or TSE examination during the first semester.
  • Students are encouraged to engage in intensive spoken English studies in the months ahead in preparation for these tests and for future teaching duties at the University of Houston.
  • Students who fail to pass this examination may no longer be qualified to receive a tuition fellowship, and may lose their financial support at the end of the second semester
  • Cost for either examination or any additional English language study is the responsibility of the student. A review of the progress of all Instructional Assistants will be made at the end of each semester to determine eligibility for continued support.